View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:39 am

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
 year round schools 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Could someone give me more info on the year round schedule why it is such a big issue etc. thanks

Fri May 28, 2004 2:02 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Beth, I think what happens is that these kids dont have a set summer vacation for two months, but the have two or three weeks off each month. Some people say it helps the kids to remember more, and some people argue that it is hard to pick back up where you left off three weeks ago so you do alot of backtracking. I think there is more to it, but I am not sure of all the details.

Mon May 31, 2004 7:51 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I'm a little fuzzy on the whole year round thing. I am from Newton and I know that Newton-Conover schools are year round although I was a part of a different school system. I think they go for like nine weeks and then receive three weeks off. I'm not sure how much they get for summer. I'm just glad I didn't have to do it like that, it's way too confusing.

Mon May 31, 2004 9:06 pm
All-star
All-star

Why as a sociey are we so opposed to change?!?!?!? If we orginally in year-round schools and people started talking about switching to summers off, people would be opposed to the change. I truly believe that having shorter breaks during the year would greatly reduce teacher and student burnout that now occurs during April and May.

Mon May 31, 2004 9:12 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I am not being closed minded about year-round schools, I just have seen what it has done to kids and I do not like it. The kids absolutely hate it and the parents are not too thrilled with it either. I think that this kind of school burns teachers and students out more because they are always there. They may get a couple of weeks here and there but that is no real vacation to recover like they would get in the summer. Kids need to be kids and if they are always in school where they have to be stressed out all the time when are they going to have that chance to be a child????

Tue Jun 01, 2004 7:32 am
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 5 posts ]