View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:58 pm

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 uniforms in schools 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I just wanted to see what everyone thought about uniforms in schools. I personally didn't go to a school where we worn uniforms and I believe it hinders a child's ability to show their personality and to express who they are. Anyone have any particular feelings about it?

Tue Jun 01, 2004 8:46 pm
Profile WWW
All-star
All-star

I am big fan of dress codes and restrictions, but not uniforms. I have done a little research on this topic on this issue, and in my opinion I think that school uniforms have many drawbacks, such as violating freedom of expression.

Tue Jun 01, 2004 8:51 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I think that uniforms in the schools is a horrible idea that doesn't seem well thought out. We want our kids to be independent thinkers but how can they do that when they can't even express themselves in something small as like what they wear?? I can see where administration and the school board would want to implement uniforms but making kids wear uniforms could be just another reason for them to hate school.

Tue Jun 01, 2004 9:11 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

This is another issue that we could argue all day long. I personally never had to wear uniforms in school, but I really don't think I would have cared too much. I see where it takes away from the students being able to express themselves, which is not good. But I think it would also make more kids feel included. Its the same reason sports teams and branches of the military have their own uniforms, to bring everybody together. I would have been okay with it because there's one less decision I have to make during the day- what to wear to school. Of course not everybody thinks this way. I also think that it would have made me take school more seriously because when you look professional, you're automatically inclined to act professionally. But maybe that's just me.

Tue Jun 01, 2004 9:28 pm
All-star
All-star

I can see how people would feel more included with uniforms and how it would make the school setting seem more professional as Dusty said. However, I don't think this is reason enough to have school uniforms. I did not have to wear one, but I think it's a bad idea in schools who do have uniforms. I definately think that it takes away from rights that everyone should have. I think there should be some restrictions and a dress code that is reasonable, but other than that, I think students should be allowed to wear whatever they choose to school. Being able to wear whatever you want is one of the few freedoms that students have in school, and I definately do not think it should be taken away.

Tue Jun 01, 2004 10:05 pm
All-star
All-star

The arguement that I have heard FOR uniforms that made the most since to me is that it would reduce the amount of cliques in the schools. If students could not see that a student cannot afford the designer label clothes than they would be less likely to be excluded for it.

Wed Jun 02, 2004 8:35 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I was lucky in the fact that my school did not have uniforms, however it was a heated debate during my time in school. The FOR uniforms was to cut down on the cliques, make sure that the dress code was followed, and to make the school look more presentable. The AGAINST uniforms side stated that it took away from one's individuality, freedom of choice, and the problems they were wanting to avoid would be worked into the uniforms.

One of the big problems was financially making parents responsible for buying the uniforms. I come from a poor county and the fact that not only do the students have to have clothes but specific clothes could have put a burden on many families. (And yes, there were those families who didn't have much but always had the name brand clothes and $100 sneakers regardless). I always felt that it was unfair to impose on people what to wear and often times the dress code was crazy, so uniforms would have just made school more like a prison!

Linda

Wed Jun 02, 2004 8:51 am
All-star
All-star

Yes I can see the points that those in favor of uniforms make. I see how they could be positive, but I think the negatives outweigh the positives. Having to wear uniforms would seriously make me dislike school. I think it would turn a lot of kids off for school.
I am definitely not for uniforms. We want our kids to be unique, free and independent thinkers, and express themselves. We want them to be proud of who they are, what they like, and have high self esteem in being unique...then we are going to demand that they all dress exactly alike. What's next? Talk about a cookie cutter school system.

Wed Jun 02, 2004 1:27 pm
All-star
All-star

Yes I can see the points that those in favor of uniforms make. I see how they could be positive, but I think the negatives outweigh the positives. Having to wear uniforms would seriously make me dislike school. I think it would turn a lot of kids off for school.
I am definitely not for uniforms. We want our kids to be unique, free and independent thinkers, and express themselves. We want them to be proud of who they are, what they like, and have high self esteem in being unique...then we are going to demand that they all dress exactly alike. What's next? Talk about a cookie cutter school system.

Wed Jun 02, 2004 1:30 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I think uniforms are a bit much, however a properly administered dress code can have some positive impact on the overall morale and teamwork within a school. There have been many studies over the years that support and argue about whether uniforms or dess codes actually help or hurt.

Wed Jun 02, 2004 6:28 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I agree with Charlie, a dress code is good. I think that uniforms would stifle kids creativity. Lots of kids express themselves through the way they dress. :)

Sat Jun 05, 2004 9:05 pm
All-star
All-star

Can someone explain to me what the differences are between having a dress code and school uniforms are? To me they both restrict students choices to exxpress them selves with their clothes. Can't school uniforms be veiwed as a more restrictive dress code? After reading posts on this subject several have commented that they favor dress codes but don't favor uniforms. I just don't see where the positives of a school uniform are different from the positives of a dress code. Likewise I don't see the differences in their negatives as well. I think the positives of both can outweigh the negatives.

Sat Jun 05, 2004 11:15 pm
All-star
All-star

Jeff, I have to agree with you. For all of you out there that favor a dress code please explain to me how it can be equally enforced. In my experience dress codes do not work because they are unequally enforced. I, myself, am in favor of school uniforms. I feel that a simple uniform of a collared shirt and kakis or skirt could solve this problem. Students will still be able to express themselve through the colors and styles they choose. Having taught in a high school for three years I personally witnessed the inequalities in dress code enforcement and I believe that a general school uniform could solve this problem.

Sun Jun 06, 2004 11:00 am
All-star
All-star

Ok Derek, Now I am befuddled. I would have thought that a dress code would have stated that shirts must be collared without printed material, and pants must be without holes and at a minimum they must fit in both waist and length. To become more ridged than that would eleiminate any form of creativity. Casual Fridays could help, T-shirts and jeans if you so desire. Let the students demonstrate their creativity through their workand less by their appearance. I do not believe in uniforms, as in the type seen in prep schools. However, a dress code with some standard guidelines for pants and shirts and shoes might help to reduce the problems that occur when children can't have what others have. Codes should be determined by the school system and modified to a degree by each individual school.

Sun Jun 06, 2004 4:56 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I see both the negatives and positives of having uniforms. However, I think the negatives outweigh the positives, like Jenny said. I think schools should have dress codes and standards. Children should focus on their expressiveness and creativity in work, not in clothes. But, appearance also exhibits these qualities. :)

Mon Jun 07, 2004 7:44 pm
All-star
All-star

I agree with all of you that state that students should be able to express their creativity through their clothing. However, would someone please explain to me how a dress code can be properly and fairly enforced without the use of uniforms!!! In my experience, it can not be done.

Mon Jun 07, 2004 9:14 pm
All-star
All-star

What a hard issue to address. I think that there are positives to restricting some clothing, by having codes of appropriateness with being decently covered in clothing. I think that khaki and polo shirts are too strick of an answer though. Each kid needs to have some freedom of expression. Dress codes can make everyone blend a little too much for my taste. I can see the advantages to no mid drifts, no tube tops and other concerns. School is a place for learning and needs a comfortable environment where kids can feel individual and still be kept on track. The balances is just so hard. I think without any rules for dress code, caos breaks loose, ithappened in my school where people were barely clothed and then you couldn't concintrate. :shock:

Tue Jun 08, 2004 9:55 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I totally agree that uniforms hold a child or young adult back from expressing themselves and their interests, but also it would decrease these young girls from wearing provocative clothing in school. There are both pros and cons with uniforms. I hate to say that one way is better than the other because I've never had to wear one in school myself. I do feel like students would not be judged by appearance and clothing anymore and maybe this would stop some of the schools from being so clichey. Also, I think it would take away a lot of distraction that goes on in the classroom and schools.

Wed Jun 09, 2004 1:21 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I think uniforms in schools are just another way for the students to rebel. Maybe setting standards for dress might help inequalities that students feel about economic standing or social class. But I feel that clothing is a form of expression for many people and I think they should be able to show that part of them.

Wed Jun 09, 2004 10:46 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

i don't know, maybe it's cause i never actually tried to express myself by the clothes i wore, but i really think that expressing one's self can be done in ways other than clothing... like writing, speaking, art, music, dance, drama, etc etc etc... and really, uniforms just keep anyone from being that kid who buys her clothes at k-mart while everyone else has abercrombie written across their butts. all i'm saying is, i don't see how the negatives so clearly "outweigh" the positives... i'm not convinced.

and actually, those people i knew who went to schools with uniforms liked the fact that they never had to decide what to wear in the morning.

and as far as dress-codes are concerned -- i don't think they work in the least. they are either so uninforced that they are a joke, or they are such a big deal that students get sent home for showing the world ::GASP:: a shoulder! so yeah... i don't think they work.

Thu Jun 10, 2004 6:45 pm
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next