View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:13 pm

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 uniforms in schools 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I agree with every word that Emily just said. Derek is right as well. It is very difficult to create any kind of unwavering standard that satisfies the administration but keeps the students from starting riots, too. My brother spent his first two years of high school at the same high school that I attended. Every day, without fail, at least one student was sent home or required to change clothes because of the outfit they wore to school. The school DID have a dress code, but name me one "iced-out, big-pimpin', trash-talkin', bling-blingin', pipe-hittin' street-baller from the Dirrty South" who's really going to wear his pants around his waist because he wants to follow the school dress code! And what girl is going to keep a ruler in her closet to make sure the length of her shorts is appropriate to the millimeter? My brother just finished his junior year at a different school that requires students to wear uniforms. According to he and his friends, no one at the school is opposed to the uniforms or even dreads wearing them. Maybe they are all aliens or something, but they agree that they are in school to get an education and not to make a fashion statement everyday by seeing how vulgar they can be before someone punishes them. I'm not arguing for or against uniforms, but I too think that a student can express themselves in other ways than by their clothes. If they are creative enough to shred an outfit so that it is more revealing, then they are capable of showing their creative expression through other means.

Thu Jun 10, 2004 9:36 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

When I was in school I would be damned if I had to wear a uniform! This is one of the issues that I think will continue to cause controversy for many years. Now that I am growing up I can see the need for uniforms. I agree with Dusty on the professionalism. It seems that there are way too many students who do not take school seriously. Maybe dressing more professionally will help the students refocus themselves. I think that uniforms are a good idea, but maybe let the uniform choice be up to the student body. Have a committee of students who will choose what uniforms will be worn. Therefore, the students will have more say and hopefully positive results will come.

Sat Jun 12, 2004 12:21 pm
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2