View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:18 pm

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
 Bell Curve 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I just read the Ghosts of Bell Curves Past and was pissed off. Do we still use a bell curve? I mean do you think that people especially teachers still believe that if some one scores low on an IQ test that they are stupid and there is no help for them? If so it is very disturbing and discouraging. Ok thanks for letting me vent sorry about spelling I must have a horrible genetic make up.

Tue Jun 01, 2004 9:35 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Some people still do believe that. I think that people can be smart in some many different areas so why look at only one? Someone can have a low IQ but have really good street smarts. Which would you rather have in an inner city? My brother for example can tell you anything you want to know about something he saw on the Discovery channel but couldn't tell you who sat next to him all year in school (think Rainman). I believe there should be more emphasis on tests done in other areas of knowledge.

Wed Jun 02, 2004 7:39 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Its really sad, but there are probably still some people and teachers out there who still believe that a person's IQ score determines whether they are intelligent or 'stupid' There are so many different types of intelligence how can you accurately measure them all with a single test?????

Wed Jun 02, 2004 7:38 pm
All-star
All-star

I think that the IQ tests don't represent the multiple intelligences because people are to lazy to figure out a more efficient way of testing. I also think though that a majority realize the inaccuracy of these tests. I sure did at an early age and was reminded of it time and time again. I think a strong teacher realizes that they will need to work with students differently to discover the individual strengths.

Fri Jun 04, 2004 8:08 pm
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 4 posts ]