View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:47 am

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
 Trade 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Today we had to read the article about globalization and how many companies are taking their buisness over seas to keep prices down. Well in view of the other side I would like to coment that just because a comany travels abroad does not mean they open a sweat shop. Trade, what they are doing, is a voluntary thing. Now granted that not all companies, infact most may not, opporate ethically, but trade should opporate in ways where both people gain. We gain from being able to produce the product cheaper and they gain by being paid. You and I, the consumers, gain from the lower price, and the company and stockholder also gain from their profit. So in such an example everyone wins. Now I am not at all encouraging the use of sweat shops or the fact that some companies, the like soccer ball company from the article, will buy children to work in their factories. And the other impression I got from the article was that trade in other countries was a bad idea. Well yes and no. Yes often companies eploit workers and treat them very badly and they should not do that. But also we only trade when there is benefit. So if it was wiser to keep the company in the US the company would still manufacture it's product in the US. Ok well I guess I am rambling but what I really want to say is not all trade in other countries is bad. It is very easy to say you only help the rich get richer and the poor get poorer and more difficult to explain the other side. And like most coins there is another side. For a professional's explaination you can visit Dr. Todd Cherry's web site. The web address is below.

http://www.business.appstate.edu/depart ... ttrade.htm

Wed Jun 02, 2004 10:25 am
All-star
All-star

I have to strongly disagree with a couple points that you made. First when you said that "all companies, infact most may not, opporate ethically" In my research on this MOST companies that move overseas or to under developed countries operate very ethically. Many companies that move into these areas must first build power plants for the communities, establish running water, and waste water treatment plants. In most cases the relocating plants and companies pay much higher wages than the area is accustomed to even though it sounds like pocket change to citizens in the US. As for the second point that I must disagree with "You and I, the consumers, gain from the lower price, and the company and stockholder also gain from their profit. So in such an example everyone wins. " When you claim everybody wins what about the thousands of workers, or even entire towns that suddenly become unemployeed. These numbers have a wider effect than just the employees who lose their jobs directly. In the case where a town's main employeer closes, Restraunts, gas stations and stores are effected in many times greater than the dislocated workers because they rely on the plantswadges to pay their bills. However unlike some of the plant employees, it is much harder for people affected by this secondary effect to get needed retraining bennefits.

Sat Jun 05, 2004 7:14 pm
All-star
All-star

Jennifer, the Walker College of Business article is very good. There will be companies that take advantage of third-world countries and some countries that will exploit their own people. Global trade is here and nothing about it is equal or free. I don't want to find out that children are making the clothes I am wearing. I also do not want my government to tell me what rules I have to follow here in the United States and then say those same rules do not have to be followed in other countries. As Americans we are pricing ourselves out of a manufacturing economy. If we are not working and paying taxes, then we are no longer assets to our government, we are now liabilities.

Sun Jun 06, 2004 5:27 pm
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 3 posts ]