View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 3:43 am

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 
 Delpit Article 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

what did you guys think of that delpit article? i always get kind of offensive when people repeatedly lump me together with a group like "white" ... probably because although i look white as can be, i am a quarter indian (from india) and my mother looks more like a "black" person than she does like me. that being said, i thought the article was really interesting and raised a lot of excellent points about teaching styles. i have always hated it when people say "would you like to..." or "how about we..." because when you say "no thanks" or "how about we not" then they get all angry and flustered. so i've always been an advocate of saying what you mean and meaning what you say... but anyway, just wondering what you all thought about it!

Wed Jun 02, 2004 1:54 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

and by "offensive" i meant offended... oops :oops:

Wed Jun 02, 2004 1:55 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I agree, If you really get technical everyone is related to everyone in theory. It is a big gene pool. :)

Wed Jun 02, 2004 6:18 pm
All-star
All-star

Lisa Delpit has an interesting way of writing. Have you read her letter in the "Letters to the Next US President? At first she seems to be just black and white. However; if you look deeper, I believe you will see a woman with a plan to open channels of communication between all races. We must do a better job of listening and understanding so that everyone has a fair voice and equal opportunity. If you think I am wrong, let me know. Failure to let me know must mean you agree, right.

Sun Jun 06, 2004 7:30 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I also agree. You have to look further than someone's skin to really see what they are about. I do not like being clumped in one group.

Mon Jun 07, 2004 12:33 pm
All-star
All-star

I was kind of offended when I first began reading the article, but I also think that once you look at with a more critical eye, it can be seen more in a way to encourage communication among all people. I don't like being looked at as a large group, whether it be "white", "southern", or any other large group. I feel I am a separate person and should not be seen as the same as everyone else in that group.

Mon Jun 07, 2004 6:01 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I agree with Emily, I was first offended with her writings because they come across as a white on black issue and reason for the failure of our education system. However, like Steve, after reading that article I found myself better able to look beyond her writing and see that she was more for relating lessons to the children's world. She wants us to be able to make the lessons relate to the children lives, so they can relate and see how the information is not relevant to them.

Linda

Mon Jun 07, 2004 6:27 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Has anyone considered the possibility that Lisa Delpit wanted white readers/white teachers to feel slightly taken aback at the racial grouping and assumptions? I didn't really feel offended because I took her method as a way to call "us" on our racial groupings. Perhaps she just wanted to point out that black or other minority students don't take to stereotypes as much as we don't.

Mon Jun 07, 2004 6:58 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I took the reading to be helpful to all teachers. I do think sometimes that we should pose a question instead of a demand, when asking a child to do something. They may reject it but we are giving them a choice. However, this should be done in the right context.

I truly believe that you do not know a person until you listen and understand them. You have to look deep to see a person's true colors.
As Delpit says, "To do so takes a very special kind of listening, listening that requires not only open eyes and ears, but open hearts and minds."

Mon Jun 07, 2004 7:58 pm
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 9 posts ]