View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:38 pm

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
 My So-Called Life 
All-star
All-star

I recently recieved the dvd set of my favorite t.v. show my so called life. I came across an episode that I can now see in a different light. It is the 6th episode where the english teacher leaves the school and a new substitute comes in. He is very strange to the students and throws out all the traditional rules or what the writing class focuses on. He lights candles and wants the students to write basically without all the structure they are taught. The students become so intrigued that an adult can evolutionize english class. It was so nice to see a passionate teacher take new approaches similar to the discussion role of the elite classes from our reading. It really reached the kids on the show and made me remember my excellent teachers in N.Y. that were rather experimental. Has anyone else seen this episode? If so what did you think? Or what did you teacher/s do that had never been done in your classes before?

Fri Jun 04, 2004 7:11 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I know this sounds kind of dumb but in fifth grade I had a student teacher who had just come to teaching late in her life. Her name was Mrs. Hogan. We didn't really like her in the beginning because she was different. At the end of the semester we were reading "Island of the Blue Dolphins" and we weren't really getting into it. SO mrs. Hogan brought in a sand box and all these beachy things and we roll played what it would be like if we lived on the island and all these fun activities. It really opened up a whole new world in books for and exposed a my life-long passion. Dumb, but it was a new way of teaching that opened up new doors for me.

Sat Jun 05, 2004 9:16 pm
All-star
All-star

I don't think it is silly.. I had many teachers like that and that is how I became attracted to the field. I think that has probably happened to many of us. Influencial teachers make a huge effect on who we become. Many children spend more time with their teachers then they do with their parents.

This is why we need to be careful to how we run our classrooms because we make impressions on our students. I loved the article "What Matthew Shepard Would Tell Us," for one thing there were great suggestions for the classroom. I was trying to think how I would react to students harassing or causing any harm to homosexual students in my classroom. The reading was well written and did not run on. I really enjoyed it.

Wed Jun 09, 2004 11:06 am
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 3 posts ]