View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:55 am

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 14 posts ] 
 Beheading Video 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

This morning on the news I hear about a teacher who showed the video of the soldier being beheaded in Iraq. She was then suspened from teaching and they said that several teachers in Texas were also showing the video and also got in some kind of trouble. The school board said that she was suspended because the video was so violent and had no educational value and the teacher said she felt like she has had a lack of support for a long time. So what do you all think. The class was middle school I think maybe high school. But I do see that appling to the social studies classes and I think it relates to the lessons on sweatshops from the article we read. But is this to violent for kids to watch? To much reality for them to handle? Or is it a valuable tool to relate the world today to our classrooms?

Sat Jun 05, 2004 6:38 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I am from Mount Airy and a teacher at my old high-school, a teacher I love and respect, got suspended because a few of his students watched the video. His students watched the video on their own, in his classroom, on his computer. He was only suspended 2 days because he just let them watch it, it was their idea.

Sat Jun 05, 2004 2:05 pm
Profile WWW
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I have seen the video so I can understand why some would say that it is too violent to be seen in schools. But for older children I think it would be a good reality check. It could show the students what we are dealing with in this war since most of them do not really see the signifigance. I saw middle school students day after day talk and not pay attention during channel one so they didn't really seem too concerned about what was going on over there. Just like the Mai Lai video it could provoke some feeling inside them. I think that it should not be shown without also showing pictures of the Abu Ghraib also since it lead to the beheading.

Sun Jun 06, 2004 11:01 am
All-star
All-star

Courtney, I agree with you. I think that showing the video in a history class or another applicable class could be an invaluable lesson. I also agree that the Abu Ghraib video and photos should be shown as a precursor. Far to often textbooks and educational videos show only one side of the issue. It is important for us as teachers to teach our students to look at both sides of an issue and also to try and see events through the eyes of the people in different countries.

Mon Jun 07, 2004 11:01 am
All-star
All-star

I think it is the case all to often that teachers or professors will only give one side of a situation. This could be the side that they feel the strongest about or the side that is the most politically correct side of the issue. I think that it is vital to give students all sides of the story and give the students the freedom to make up their own mind on the subject.

Mon Jun 07, 2004 11:11 am
All-star
All-star

I think that students in high school should be mature enough to handle seeing something like that video. Students need to be exposed to real life situations and see what is going around the world. I think that teachers need to present things from both sides so that students can have their own understanding of the world and things that are going on around us.

Mon Jun 07, 2004 5:52 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Although I do not believe in widespread censorship. I think that teachers should consider their students maturity before presenting disturbing or graphic material in the classroom. I also agree with Emily that both sides of the any conflict should always be presented to students. Too many times our society tries to "candy coat" a worldwide incident or just present one side of the story.

Mon Jun 07, 2004 5:58 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I agree, often issues both current and in history are presented in a candy coated version to students. The truth is the world is not candy coated and if the goal of educators is to prepare students to be a part of society and make a difference then they need to know how the world they are becoming a member of operates. Both positive and negative aspects need to be presented to students and them allowed to make up their own minds of what they agree and disagree with. With this said, it is also the educators responsiblity to present both sides of everything so the students can make an educated and well informed opinion of the world around them and on issues.

Linda Brock

Mon Jun 07, 2004 6:12 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

While I haven't seen the video footage of the beheading, I think that such a reference in social studies classes is justified as a historical reality check. Like someone posted, our students need to understand the conditions of the war that is currently occuring around them. It is history in the making. The footage could be used to give students a feel for media impact on public sentiments/perceptions, which could in itself lead to an offshoot discussion of media portrayal of war events. I feel that some censorship is needed in today's world, but not to the point where it shelters adolescents from the realities of our world. In order to keep from offending someone, however, I would advise students to leave the room if they didn't want to see the beheading. But I wonder if all the parents who became upset at the teachers for showing this video monitor their television viewing habits. Some things can't be hidden forever. Especially not with like 27 news channels that replay footage all day, everyday.

Mon Jun 07, 2004 7:08 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

A friend of mine is in the Army and I told him about teachers showing this video to students and he was shocked. He said that he watched the video and it REALLY disturbed him and he could not imagine a child or teen watching that. I think there should be a line drawn as to what kids are shown in school, if this freaks out a man in the army just think what it does to a kid in school?

Mon Jun 07, 2004 9:22 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I haven't seen the video either but I think that it would be a reality check for some of us. There are lots of disturbing things that people think "If I don't see them, they don't exist." It would be a way to show them they do.

Tue Jun 08, 2004 8:30 am
All-star
All-star

I fully agree with Charlie. If you were to talk about those issues I would spend a hole day on it and maybe introduce the video to high school, but not show the finished beheading, actually I don't know about that even. If they want to see it after you talk about it in class they can see it on their own terms.

Tue Jun 08, 2004 9:47 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

The video will definitely affect every child differently so it is hard to say. I do think that our children should know what is going on in the world and what is happening to our people, but not in such a violent way. If their parents or teachers talked to them about some of these things like beheading and other violent acts I think it would be alright. Some of these students might have nightmares from the video or may get very emotional and this could affect their education while they are in school, so it is hard to say. I do not think the teachers should have been fired over showing the video, it was for a good cause.

Wed Jun 09, 2004 1:39 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

what i can't understand is how it's not ok to show one man being killed, but on september 11th, when thousands were killed, the footage was shown over and over and over again until the sight of two planes flying into the twin towers, the smoke billowing out, the people jumping from the buildings to their deaths and then those sky scrapers crashing to the ground, killing most of those inside was ingrained in our minds. it was shown in schools, on the news, on commercials, on documentaries, ALL over the place. so why was that ok and this isn't?

i think it has something to do with political agendas, but perhaps that's just my cynical view.

Thu Jun 10, 2004 6:53 pm
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 14 posts ]