View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:46 am

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 
 tired of posting 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

is anyone else sick of posting on this thing just to fill the "posting quota"? i'm not trying to complain, but rather to bring up a subject... should we ask our students to do something like this... like a certain number of posts which don't necessarily have to be of high quality, just as long as there are 24 and 4 are new topics, or should we ask them to participate in just a few things as long as those few things are well thought out and thorough?

and yes... i'm sick of posting, but i think it's just cause i have dial-up internet, so i either have to go to the computer lab to do this or i have to sit at a computer that takes eight million years to load a page :cry:

and the internet connection went down before i could post this, so i had to shut down the computer and get back on another day when the phone lines decided to work with the computer. ok ok ok sorry for the complaining.

Mon Jun 07, 2004 7:57 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I've enjoyed this - BUT you raise an interesting point:

How do you get students motivated and interested enough to do something without setting boundaries and limits and forcing them to do so? A great challenge in teaching I think: if you force students to do something (especially reading) they will be less likely to enjoy doing it; yet if you don't force them many of them simply WON'T do it or have the chance to experience it - and some that wouldn't have done the activity from their own motivation will find that they enjoy and learn from the experience. Quite a dilemma I think.

Mon Jun 07, 2004 9:58 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I too have enjoyed this because there have been some wonderful topics that have been posted. But you girls raise an interesting point, why are we required to do a specific amount. Shouldn't we be allowed to do as many as we want without a requirement attached to this?? I know that when I am forced to do something, like read for class, it takes me a while before I sit down and do it because it's something that I DONT want to do and I want to get the things done that are important to me first. Don't get me wrong, school is important but reading all this stuff is ridiculous because sometimes it doesn't even partain to what we are discussing and it is not interesting at all. I believe that we should allow our students choices, lots of them, so that they won't have this attitude about school when they get our age. We need to show kids that school is a time to learn about interesting things, not a punishment like I sometimes feel it is.

Mon Jun 07, 2004 10:44 am
All-star
All-star

I agree with all of you, but, how do we get students to do anything if we do not set requirements. There will always be students that will do as little as possible and those that will go the extra mile to achieve. I do think that this forum is a very valuable tool and I have enjoyed contributing to it. I especially see the value for those that do not speak in class. The setting of the requirements forces us to interact with the forum in the beginning and then pure interest takes over, as evident by those that have well over 20 posts

Mon Jun 07, 2004 11:16 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I agree with what everyone has said so far on this particular post. However, I'd be careful what I label certain things or people. Reading Derek's reply, I felt as though I haven't been putting enough into the class and/or do not have as much interest in the class simply because my little typing penguin icon in the corner doesn't already say "Semi-pro". And I have a LOT of respect for Derek and the experience he's offering the class, and I know it wasn't meant to be a shot at anyone personally, so don't mistake that. I only bring it up because I've already heard several people talking about how many or how few posts certain people have. But several people are taking more than one class this session, some people don't have easy access to internet, and others are working one or more jobs! Sometimes, catching up with a last-minute post at 2am is all we may have to work with after an exhaustive day, before our next 8am class. If you're situation is that you're just not interested in the class or the forum... oops!

Thu Jun 10, 2004 3:08 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

amen for the working and two classes AND no internet! but i definitely do think this forum has been good for those who aren't as comfortable speaking in class to express themselves and be heard :D

Thu Jun 10, 2004 6:32 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

lets be honest! if there were no limits half of us wouldn't post too much all! especially ME. i like the forum. its good for the students who are shy to express themselves outside of class.

Sat Jun 12, 2004 12:31 pm
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 7 posts ]