View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:52 am

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 
 Lesson Plans 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I was wondering if you had to create as many lesson plans as I did here at Appalachian? When you go into a 'real school' you hardly ever see the teachers with lesson plans. They just have a general idea of what they want to do written down on a calendar. I think that making all of these lesson plans up was great pratice for using our own ideas in the classroom but I think more time could have been focused on other areas of learning. What do you think? (In my classes, for example, Methods for Teaching Students with LD, all we did was make up lesson plans, not learn about how to teach students with LD)

Mon Jun 07, 2004 8:01 am
All-star
All-star

I think that it depends on the type of personality that you have and the school that you are in that determines whether or not you will create lesson plans. I know for myself, if i do not plan ahead and outline my lessons I will be unfocused. If you are the type of person that does not need to plan out, that is fine. However, I know the school that I used to work at required lesson plans to be turned in every Friday for the week ahead. Some schools will require lesson plan and others will not. I do believe that lesson plans can be of great service in the first few years of teaching.

Tue Jun 08, 2004 1:42 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I agree. Lesson plans are only time consuming for me. I personally do better if I can just teach my own way without a step by step format out in front of me. It almost makes me nervous to have to teach by a lesson plan and it keeps a teacher limited with what she can do with a lesson. I believe in integrating lots of different ideas and subjects into a lesson. On the other hand teachers may feel comforted with a lesson plan by their side while they are teaching. It really depends on the personality and teaching method of the teacher.

Wed Jun 09, 2004 1:47 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Personally, I like something in between. I like having a skeleton outline of what I would like to cover in a particular lesson, with very little detail, for a couple of reasons. First of all, the simple outline can introduce a topic and allow plenty of time for discussion, demonstration, or questions, if needed. I always feel a little restricted when I have a bulleted list of things I MUST cover, and the exact time that it must be covered. 10:23AM- introduce such and such topic; 10:29AM- ignore students' looks of confusion, but allow for only one question before new topic begins at 10:30AM. Sometimes letting the lesson go in the direction that education and inquiry wants to take it will open doors for wonderful discussion and learning. Also, I feel as though I've failed if I didn't accomplish everything on my list! I'd feel much more sucessful if the students walked out of class having learned, regardless of the plans I spent hours typing up just to turn in to the boss. How many more classes are we going to have to sit through where the teacher requires a new typed lesson plan every day, instead of putting us out in the schools to gain experience in what we'll really be doing anyway?!

Wed Jun 09, 2004 9:54 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

In art we have to go out an teach for our art ed classes to get experience before we student teach and we had to make up lesson plans. In my first class the lesson plans were tedious but it really helped because we focused on what we wanted the kids to get out of the lesson and the importance of the lesson and tried to think of all the possible questions and directions the lesson would take us which included practicing our lessons in front of class before we actually taught and revising a million times. But I am glad we had the lessons because they prepared us for teaching especially practicing on people, there fore when we got in class to teach we really didn't have to go exactly by the lesson we felt more at ease to just teach. so i think practicing a lesson plan is more beneficial than writting one but you have to write one to practice it. Anyway i hate writting lesson plans too but having a skeleton and practicing helps me be more prepared. I think the reason I hate it so much is that every education teacher has their idea of what a good lesson plan looks like and you have to follow their idea. I think when you get on your own and decide what type of lesson plan you like to make it will be easier. Also I have a friend who's a teacher who says he never makes lesson plans so that's kinda hopeful.

Wed Jun 16, 2004 10:36 pm
All-star
All-star

Our PE lesson plans are sometimes 5 or 6 pages long. While I don't plan on writing out lesson plans this extensively I do think that as a PE major that it can save my butt. As all of you know injuries often happen in PE and a question that is often brought up in these accidents is, was the teacher negligant? If I have these lesson plans not only can it make me a more effective teacher, but it also documents what the children and myself were doing at the time of the incident.

Thu Jun 17, 2004 8:50 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Simply speaking from what my student teaching advisor has told me, I have alot of lesson plans to write in the fall. I think he comes like 3-5 times to observe me and I have to have a full lesson plan for everytime he comes. The real kicker is that the last 2 or 3 times, I won't know when he's coming. Looks like I'll be writing lots more fun 6pt. lesson plans!

Fri Jun 18, 2004 8:43 am
Profile WWW
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 7 posts ]