View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:02 am

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 
 Desegregation 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I am not trying to downplay what the black community went through when desegregation took place, but at least they were thought human enough to get some sort of education. People with disabilities did not. They could not go to school unless it was something held once a week in a church basement with the help of a few who cared. The desegregation processes opened the doors to let children with disabillities get an education too. Otherwise they were kept hidden in the house out of embarrassement or put in a mental institution. I just wanted you to know that the desegregation movement did not only effect the black community but also gave a basis for rights within the special education community. After all it was the Kennedy's who started the special olympics.

Tue Jun 08, 2004 12:33 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Courtney, I'm glad you brought that up, you're absolutely right. Persons with disabilities have had a much longer struggle in the desegregation of schools. My younger brother is deaf and I know a lot of deaf people. He is friends with an older man who when he was in school, was put in a mental institution because people thought he was crazy when after all he just couldn't hear. And this wasn't a hundred years ago, this was in the 1940's. The Individuals with Disabilities Education Act wasn't passed until 1990 which gave equal education to disabled students. Hard to believe isn't it?

Tue Jun 08, 2004 12:43 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Courtney, I am so glad that you brought this up. I did not even think about children with special needs. However, the point you make is sooo true. Children with special needs were also segregated. They were totally secluded from other children. They did not get a chance to voice their opinions to say that they wanted to be included. It is great that America decided to do something about it.

Tue Jun 08, 2004 7:29 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Good point! Special Ed has had a long standing battle that has to fight not only skin color but varying degrees of disabilities and special abilities. I think way to often desegregation becomes a color issue instead of a people issue. Trying to eliminate our differences and bring unity and equality to the education system and the society is the TRUE purpose of desegregation!

Linda Brock

Tue Jun 08, 2004 8:09 pm
All-star
All-star

I'm also glad this point was brought up. I think that desegregation and racism are too often simply thought of as black vs. white. Children with disabilities have had a very difficult battle to be guaranteed an education, and I think it is very important that we remember the importance of special education in the desegregation battle.

Tue Jun 08, 2004 8:40 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I've always wondered if I'm the only one who's recognized this: the only people who don't complain about their education are the children with disabilities. At my high school, black students complained that the white teachers weren't treating them fairly; white students griped about the black teachers mistreating them; the girls didn't want to take gym; the guys didn't want to take dance, and the Korean students wouldn't pay attention unless a teacher was showing them how to put hydraulics on their new Honda Civics. The children with disabilities, on the other hand, were just thrilled to be in a class with their friends of the same age, and someone in front of them who was there to help them learn. Everyone should have that same zeal for learning.

Wed Jun 09, 2004 11:19 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I am so glad that all of you are so open to the different struggles your students might be going through. Two years ago I was in a foundations class and the vast majority of soon to be teachers did not want anything to do with students with special needs. They said, and I quote, 'Leave them with the special ed teachers. I don't want them distracting my class.'
Maybe they decided they weren't really teacher material at all since every one in this class seems to be so open minded and caring when it comes to these kids. I just worry sometimes that they will be overlooked because they are so satisfied with just learning. But i know with you guys that will not happen because you really seem to be willing to help them.

Mon Jun 14, 2004 4:26 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

That is a good point Courtney, Even though the main stream thought of segregation relates to skin color, There are pently of other groups who are segregated from society as a whole. Such as special ed, minority groups, and people of different faiths.

Mon Jun 14, 2004 4:38 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I was not aware that it took us so long to recognize the rights of children with special needs. But at least it is now seen. In addition the stigma that can follow a child even with ADHD is incredible. We as teachers have the opportunity to encourage these students and show them that their disability is a challenge yes but not impossible. One of my good friends to this day as an adult view her disability as a crippling factor. She could be so much more if through out high school she was not treated as a slow person who needed someone to do the work for her. If given the opportunity she could shine. While reading the articles from the beginning of the semester about tracking I was thinking of her and where she could have gone if not put into the slow learners track as a freshman.

Tue Jun 15, 2004 4:37 pm
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 9 posts ]