View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:00 am

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
 A Class Divided 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I thought this video was a little disturbing. I think the children were being degraded by the words of the teacher. She was telling the children they were not smart, lazy, and rude. She said they were not allowed to play with other children because of their color. If I was sitting in that classroom, I would be offended and hurt. I understand that was the purpose. However, I do not think she used the right technique to explain prejudice.

How would you all feel if you were in that classroom? Do you agree or disagree? Why?

Tue Jun 08, 2004 7:49 pm
All-star
All-star

As I stated before the video, I think the content was presented to children that in my opinion was too young to get the full meaning of theactivity. Other than that I think that perhaps it was done and just edited out, but I fell that enough time was not spent with the children wrapping up the exercise. I think a lot more time was spent with the prison guards to bring it all together. I hope that if this is used in the classroom today, that more time will be spent both introducing the topic and summarizing the lesson from the experience.

Wed Jun 09, 2004 9:33 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I agree with the way she taught it and I disagree. I think that teaching prejudice by way of experience would teach more than just teaching straight from a textbook. I feel that teaching about prejudice ideas is a tough subject to teach. Today, at least for me, it is hard to imagine the feelings of hatred that people felt towards Jews or African Americans and I think maybe that is why she taught it the way she did. I thought the video was disturbing, but it also holds alot of truth. I think it is scary the way just a day of having someone tell you that your better than another group can do that and I would like to believe that I would know better, but unless I was put in that classroom I would never really know. I just think it is a tough topic to really address and to really have students fully understand. I think it also goes back to the study done at Dr. Turner's college about the students going crazy and also about the teacher shocking the guy because he got the answers wrong. I believe all the experiments show is just how influential and impressionable we really are, whether we're young students or old adults.

Wed Jun 09, 2004 1:34 pm
Profile WWW
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 3 posts ]