View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:22 am

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 
 Physical Education 
All-star
All-star

I think that physical education is vital in our schools. Since this is my major I often wonder if anyone else thinks that physical education is important. So do what do all of you think about PE?

Thu Jun 10, 2004 8:44 am
All-star
All-star

I think physical education is EXTREMELY important in our public schools. It really bugs me when I hear about schools that are taking PE away from the kids in order to "focus on more academic" subjects. Children need to be taught from a very young age that physical activity is very important for them to grow into healthy adolescents and healthy adults. It's also been shown that children who participate in physical activity during the day can learn better. As was mentioned in my literacy and tech. class, one study in a county in North Carolina showed that over 60% of the students only had one "nutritious" meal during the day, which was school lunch (and some who ate breakfast there). That 60% lived on fast food for all their other meals. I think it is essential that children have physical education classes, starting as soon as they begin in a public school.

Thu Jun 10, 2004 9:00 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

PE (and music, art, etc) is also important because it is an area that some students will be particularly strong in and excel in. It is so important for students to have something that they feel confident in and excited about.

Furthermore, fitness is essential for health. It is SO important that a child is healthy in the early years when so much growth and development are taking places. Fitness also reduces the effects of stress, which is imperative for children - as well as giving them a chance to just have fun and be kids!!!

Thu Jun 10, 2004 11:06 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

PE is one of the most important, influential classes in the students' school day. PE teaches so much more.. it teaches nutrition, health, physical activity and social interaction. Besides with the increasing problem of obesity, the importance of a successful PE class is so necessary. :P

Sun Jun 13, 2004 12:13 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

PE is important for health reasons but also I find that when I am troubled if I walk around the block it clears my head. So maybe it is like therapy for some people which I think gets over looked.

Sun Jun 13, 2004 9:26 pm
All-star
All-star

The one problem I have with many PE programs today is that they focus mainly on major sports like basketball, baseball, softball, volleyball. Although I like these sports I think we need to introduce students to different physical activities that they can take part of like mountain biking, canoeing, skiing, and other various activities and sports. Students need to know that there are other physical activities they can take part in and enjoy if they are not highly athletic.

Mon Jun 14, 2004 9:55 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Physical education, especially during young ages, is vital to the development of the body, as well as an outlet for all the energy that young students have. Having to sit down at desks all day is a horrible idea to begin with. Students need time to stretch, use their muscles, increase their blood-flow, and re-stimulate the blood that is going to the brain with fresh air. In my art classes, I will encourage the students to get up and move around the room, whether to get materials, view other students works, or to get inspiration from looking out the window or any number of other activities. It is a great thing that should not be decrease in our schools. (unless we want fat or disformed students who are bored out of their minds)

Mon Jun 14, 2004 1:35 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Sat Jun 19, 2004 6:26 pm
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 8 posts ]