View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:32 pm

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
 thin hopes 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

The movie that we watched yesterday really disturbed me - I was already very annoyed with the way that media pressures young girls to look like airbrushed sticks; now that I know that that even go so far as to combine various women's body parts in those pictures I am absolutely livid.

So the question: What can we do? What do we do when an elementary school girl is trying to dress like what she sees and diet, or when middle and high school girls have eating disorders or low self-esteem because they don't look like those fake images?

How do we teach girls that what matters is WHO not what they are... when our society doesn't always believe this to be true!?!?!

Thu Jun 10, 2004 11:03 am
All-star
All-star

Kaci, I think the answer to your question may be in the book that I mentioned yesterday "Girls on Track: A Parent's Guide to Inspiring Our Daughters to Achieve a Lifetime of Self-Esteemand Respect" by Molly Barker. I believe that this book is very important for us as future teachers to read in order to help our students. It is not only important for the girls but also for the boys to understand the pressures they are applying to their female peers. I will bring the book in on monday for people to look at.

Thu Jun 10, 2004 1:13 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

It's sad to know that we have to spend time to reverse the negatives the media has cause with young girls and boys. I think it is extremely important to have lessons on self esteem and show that your outter appearance does not make you who you are. Along with this I think that we as teachers should make a poing to compliment our students as much as possible. Make a point to compliment the student who you feel may be down and out. Its crazy how much one nice thing said can help!

Sun Jun 13, 2004 10:54 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I think making kids aware that people come in all shapes and sizes and that the pictures we see are sometimes deciving us and to know the difference. I have a friend who was very self consious about her body and then she started studing about figures in history especially Greek figures of beauty and furtility goddesses of different cultures and realized that the symbol of beauty is a social consturct and that it changes form place to place and generation to generation that most cultures including ours until recently when computers made it possible to generate an impossible standard of beauty believed that a full figured female was the ideal of beauty.

Sun Jun 13, 2004 9:10 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

It is sad that our society has come to the point that we have to lie about the way people look. I learned on a television program that about 90% of [/b]each photograph that we see on magazine covers or in advertisements is airbrushed or digitally altered. Many of these alterations are done without the subjects knowledge as to the extent of the alterations, so what is the purpose?

Tue Jun 15, 2004 10:38 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

It is very sad that we so often define who a person is by the external. But as was mentioned before we can try to encourage our students and let them know that we care about them and we view what they say and do as important. Also we can report things is we think a student is having self esteem problems we could try to talk to the parents or the counselor at the school. Then maybe a student that is having problems may be able to get help.

Wed Jun 16, 2004 9:12 am
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 6 posts ]