View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:17 am

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
 Just and Unjust 
All-star
All-star

I really enjoyed our discussion on what determines whether something is just or unjust. I believe that as humanbeings we all know what is just and unjust, and in order to commit unjust acts, we must come up with an excuse to make us feel comfortable with those acts. I would love to continue the discussion we had in class in this forum and apply it to the topics we are currently reading about.

Thu Jun 10, 2004 1:18 pm
All-star
All-star

Derek, Is it possible that, generally speaking, we no longer are being held accountable for our actions? My daddy beat me, so it is okay for me to beat you. I did not have both parents, so don't expect me to know how to act. I believe that inside each of us we do know just from unjust. The fear of punishment kept me from crossing over to the dark side. Have we have lost the fear of punishment for doing something unjust? I am sure you have seen it, in the child that gets disciplined in school even though he has never been disciplined at home, and his parents are appalled at the action of the school. I do not advocate beating a child, but a child raised without discipline is probably very confused about just and unjust issues.

Sat Jun 12, 2004 9:53 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Discipline is needed, I believe, in the first associations of the "right and wrong" the children learn. But physical punishment should not be used on the first strike. There are many forms of punishment, especially for children, so I think parents and teachers need to get more creative.
I agree that the excuse of "it happened to me too" is no reason that a parent should inflict something upon their children that they had to suffer through as children, that does not make it right at all. People change all the time.
Just and unjust is based on personal morals, but whose morals should they be based upon to make it fair to everyone? Will the world ever come to an agreement on this? It is hard to tell, everyone it different in their own way and will think and believe what they want, even if they are open to everyone else's opinions. Its a hard call.

Mon Jun 14, 2004 12:32 am
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 3 posts ]