View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:16 am

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
 Sex Education 
All-star
All-star

Discussing the gender topic, I thought about sex education in schools being such a big deal these days. I know that we had "sex education" in my high school, but it was pretty much a joke that no one took seriously. However, I think that if it is conducted in the right manner, sex education should definately exist in public schools. I was wondering what you guys think, and also how you think education students about gender identity should be handled in public schools.

Thu Jun 10, 2004 11:13 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Right now in high schools, I know that even the idea of having a different sexual preferance is not taken well by students. I believe that presenting the subject in a sex education class should start in middle school to perhaps lessen the hardship of those whose parents, friends, or themselves choose to have a different preference. It is a subject that many people are very uncomfortable talking about, so maybe, in cooperation with the Rainbow Curriculum, the schools could help make people aware of the difference and that there are many people involved.

Fri Jun 11, 2004 12:39 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I think what Emily was saying was just sex ed in general, not incoporating different sexual preferences and orientations in the mix. I think all should be taught, however, I think there is a age based on children's maturity level that things need to be taught.

Sex ed needs to be taught. I am a true believer that all ed needs to be taught from absteinece to safe sex. Just teaching not to have sex is not a good theory because kids are doing it and we need to teach safe sex and places to go to have check ups and if you have any problems. Along with sex ed, STDs need to be addressed, we need to totally educate the students. I think like everything else if we try to half it that is when the problems occur.

linda brock

Tue Jun 15, 2004 9:09 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

We started sex Ed in 5th grade through high school. But regardless of the maturity of the students they are having sex younger and younger so really if we are going to try to prevent some of the negative aspects I would say start it in 5th grade and start seriously addressing it in middle school. But I do think that no matter when it is started the teacher needs to be prepared and make sure it is in a safe environment. Even bring in out side expects from the health center who can possibly more knowledgeable speak about the issues.

Tue Jun 15, 2004 3:57 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Sex education definitely needs to be taught in the schools. I think it should start as soon as fifth or sixth grade. In the After school program back home that I work in, I hear little third and fourth graders already talking sexually. It blows my mind. They are talking about things that I did not know of until I was in high school! If we do not teach sex education in the school system then they are going to get all of the wrong information from somewhere else. This probably being in their classroom or off of television.

Wed Jun 16, 2004 11:23 am
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 5 posts ]