View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:07 am

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
 Abstinence/Condoms 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

On the topic of sex education. Does anyone remember in sex ed the only thing a teacher was allowed to teach was abstinence? They were not allowed to speak of anything else. I do remember during one lesson we were going over the 'no sex till marriage' speech and at the end the teacher reminded us that the Health Center gives out free condoms. Ironic huh? So I have heard of this from many other people, and I was wondering what your experience with high school sex ed was?!?! A joke? Informative?

I would like to add that there was a girl next to me in sex ed that was in her second trimester!! Apparently the abstinence talk did not register!! :?:

Sat Jun 12, 2004 12:37 pm
All-star
All-star

I t was similar for me too. Later on though after a couple times of talking about sex in health class did it get interesting. With a box for questions and some decent education. I think you learn the most from your friends, but it may be better that way for some things, but worse for others. The STD education is so fundamental to sex ed.

Sat Jun 12, 2004 8:55 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I remember it first being mentioned at school to my class in 5th grade. Sadly enough, the students in my 5th grade class were more mature about it then than the next time it was discussed in 10th or 11th grade. I know that fear had most to do with the "maturity" of the 5th graders, but I also know that teenagers talking about it for the next 6 years after 5th grade had a great deal to do with their immaturity later on! Personally, I was fortunate enough to have both of my parents discuss it very openly with me. I learned the things that were most important from them, and things that aren't really necessary from my teen friends. I felt sorry for my friends because I knew that the only serious sex education they were getting was the sheepish discussion in our health class, and the rest, they learned from their friends. Parents can make a huge impact on their child's life in that way. My parents taught me that trusting in a piece of latex isn't necessary when you have no reason to use one anyway.

Sun Jun 13, 2004 6:03 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I had the same experience in Sex Ed as most of you had informative but I have a great mom who always made me feel free enough to discuss any thing without judgement. I hope that my students will trust me enough to ask questions regarding anything family friends sex drugs to know that I will be honest in my reply without judgement.

Sun Jun 13, 2004 9:33 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Because I was taught at home until high school and my mother was a mid-wife, my sisters and I got an early education of sex, Making Love, pregnancy, and birth. We were not taught strictly about "no sex until marriage", but that the act of it and what can (and usually does) follow, was something special, that produces life. This life needed to be cared for, so, we should be careful that we are ready to take on responsibilities this great. I, and my sisters, now have a very open and sharing relationship with my mother and my family about my life as a whole, as well as a very open, communicative, understanding, and loving relationship with my boyfriend.
Maybe we should not teach kids, "thou should not... and by the way, here are some condoms", but instead that they should respect such acts and remember the responsibilities that can come with them.

Mon Jun 14, 2004 12:18 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

My sex ed class was in elementary school and they took the boys in one room and the girls in another. It lasted about an hour and it was pretty much all about puberty. I'm sure abstinance was mentioned somewhere in there, but i don't remember it.

Mon Jun 21, 2004 5:06 pm
Profile WWW
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 6 posts ]