View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:33 am

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
 Hermaphadite I don't think I spelled that right. 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

So I was wondering about If a parent or doctor should determine the sex of a child if they were born with both. Or should the kid decide when they got older or would that be too dificult on a kid or should a doctor tell a parent or should a parent tell the kid if they knew If you were a parent would you want to know or would you tell your child.

Sun Jun 13, 2004 9:59 pm
All-star
All-star

If I am right, I believe that the doctor decides at birth. I think this is the best way personally. I don't think that making the child decide later on is a good idea. Having the parents decide might be okay but it may be better for someone who is not biased to make the decision.

Mon Jun 14, 2004 9:47 am
All-star
All-star

There is an additional piece of information that is being left out. The children that are born with both male and female sex organs don't always show this externally. Ambiguous genitalia may represent more than an enlarged clitoris or micro-penis. Doctors make decisions based on experience and training. However, in these cases time may serve to answer the question. Don't let the doctor play God, let the child grow and prayerfully seek an answer that medical science can then alter.

Mon Jun 14, 2004 10:25 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I agree with letting the doctor decide. Like Steve said, these characterstics are not always external and the doctor has much more experience than the parents. There is no need to tell the parents, they may treat the child differently. Let the child grow, and if there is a problem, it can be fixed like we saw on the film.

Tue Jun 15, 2004 8:34 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I do think the doctor should decide as well. Parents can have to many external influences to always make good decisions. And the doctor should also be more of a professional at recognizing which category the child belongs to. But I would want to know if I was a parent. I know some parents may not act rationally in such an instance and they may never treat the child correctly but personally I would not want this to just pop up later in life. But I do have a question and maybe this is a really stupid question so sorry if it is but what about chromosomes. The good old XX for female and XY for male. Could they not just test and say oh now we know and we can make him or her more like their own gender. Or should we leave them as they are?

Tue Jun 15, 2004 4:06 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I do not think the doctors should make this decision. I think this should be left up to the child and the parents. As a child gets older, they should think and pray about what to do if they have both male and female genitalia. It is their body and life.

Thu Jun 17, 2004 3:16 pm
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 6 posts ]