View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:26 pm

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
 Transgenders in the classroom 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I am pretty sure that no one has asked this question and I am a bit curious. I was wondering what you would do if you had a transgendered person in your classroom or even someone who was a cross dresser??? There was a guy in my high school who crossed dressed and he was told several times that he could not dress like that when he came to school. So I was just hoping to get some feed-back on how you would handle this kind of situation?

Mon Jun 14, 2004 10:16 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Well, I am always open to other peoples opinions, beliefs, or habits, but I think that for a situation like that in a classroom, the teachers would not be the ones making the decisions on what would happen with the person/people. I think the administration would have more to say on what happened. But if the person/people were allowed to do this, I would be okay with it and keep that person from being ridiculed in my classroom. It is a person's choice, as is a lot of other things and that should be respected, even if you do not agree with it.

Mon Jun 14, 2004 1:47 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

As a teacher I would be very open to different ideas, religions, and beliefs. I personaly would not care if a studnet choose to do this. However I also believe that the other students in the class should not be made to feel threated or uncomfortable (this relates to other more extreme cases besides cross-dressing etc.) I think that ultimately the admin. would have the final decision in the matter.

Mon Jun 14, 2004 4:43 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

As long as this person is not causing any distraction I would not be bothered at all. That is what makes them happy and we have no right to take that away from them. Just because we don't understand it doesn't mean that we have to fight it. I am going to be teaching elementary school, so in my situation if I had a student who was cross dressing I would probably make the guidance coundler aware just to make sure everything was ok. At such an early age, coming out like that could be very confusing to the kid's peers so I would want to make this safe for that student.

Tue Jun 15, 2004 8:24 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Regardless of what we believe as teachers we have an obligation to treat all children equally. Not allowing such a child shouldn't even be considered. Even if it does go again ones personal views or morals you can take those back home with you but while in the classroom you need to be objective.

Tue Jun 15, 2004 4:17 pm
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 5 posts ]