View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:52 pm

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
 Rosa Parks Set-up 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Did anyone else realize that the Rosa Parks bus-seat situation was sorta set-up on the part of the NAACP to bring a discrimination case all the way to the supreme court? All of the children's books and tell an entirely different stroy.

Mon Jun 14, 2004 4:49 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I had no idea and it makes me mad! I would prefer not to live in a fake would where we change the story to make it look/sound better for a lesson. The truth is what I think proves for a better story 99% of the time!

Tue Jun 15, 2004 4:23 pm
All-star
All-star

I didn't really know the entire truth about Rosa Parks or Helen Keller until I read about them for both of my classes this summer. I think it's very wrong that schools teach the sugar-coated version of these stories instead of telling children the truth. I think students should be told the whole truth so they know the issues that these people were involved and the truth about our society in those times and make their own decisions about how comparable it is today.

Tue Jun 15, 2004 4:29 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I can't remember if I had heard that or not in the past, but I definitely feel like our children should know the whole truth at one time or another. We were talking in my group the other day in class about the "appropriate" age to tell our students the whole truth. If we our misleading our students with false information or sensored truth we are only being unfair. We are not giving them the ability to choose how they feel about the situation and what went on in their own history. It should be up to them to say how they feel about it and inspire them to be open minded about all situations.

Tue Jun 15, 2004 7:53 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Good point, Erin, about how kids should be provided with the information and left to make their own decisions about the outcomes and effects. As a history major you all can imagine my personal vendetta against "tidying up" history. Every nation has skeletons in the closet. What benefits can emerge from keeping an entire generation (or more) from learning the truth about their past? The result will be an ignorant- as in uneducated- society. But when we and future generations are holding offices and running the country our "protectors", ie censors, will be dead and gone, leaving us with a few mysteries to solve. I feel like if we all went out and presented the truth to our students, then they would be all the more informed, well-rounded, critical-thinkers, and able to make future decisions. I am now stepping down off of my soapbox.

Tue Jun 15, 2004 9:42 pm
All-star
All-star

My girlfriend is a history major and said that several people before Rosa Parks did the same thing that she did. While what she did was good, why don't we tell our students about the ones before her and others who were true hero's in the civil rights movement.

Thu Jun 17, 2004 8:46 am
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 6 posts ]