View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:47 am

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 
 Eugenics 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I recently finished reading a fiction novel titled Survival of the fittest by Jonathan Kellerman. Plot summary aside, the novel involves a psychologist who has to research eugenics in order to find the killer of handicapped/mentally retarded people. He finds that eugenics was not first developed by the Race Hygiene Program of the Third Reich in Nazi
Germany, nor did it end there. The research goes through the history of IQ testing, just as we did in class, and finds that testing is used much as it was NOT intended to be used. The group of eugenicists in this novel are supposedly the smartest of society. They believe they are justified, even obligated, to cleanse society so that mediocre humans simply don't procreate. After all, why do we need idiots? (Not my thoughts!)
I just wanted to get everyone's take on the scary practice of eugenics. Is tracking a mild form? Or is there evidence that people are constantly trying to cleanse society?
By the way, the novel is a very good mystery/thriller for those interested!

Tue Jun 15, 2004 10:03 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Ooo, good point about tracking. Yeah I think so. It's it the people already in the advanced classes, or their parents, who keep the others out in fear of contaminating the smart children. So yeah I say tracking is definitely a way of keeping the elite the elite.

Wed Jun 16, 2004 10:18 am
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 2 posts ]