View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:15 am

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
 Silent lunch 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I was wondering how you all felt about giving silent lunch as a punishment. I used to always feel so sorry for the kids in my class that got silent lunch. I remember thinking those were the mean teachers that gave silent lunch. I just don't see how that is going to motivate a child for the remainder of the day. I mean I know I always looked forward to lunch. It was the only time I really got to talk to my friends without getting in trouble.

Thu Jun 17, 2004 3:47 pm
All-star
All-star

I think that silent lunch is a horrible idea. School is a place for social development. If we take away that time for talking and interacting with students we are not helping to socially construct our students. There are other means of punishment besides silent lunch.

Thu Jun 17, 2004 10:29 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I think silent lunch is a bad idea, too. Teachers are asking for trouble when they instruct a room of 300 kids to be quiet during one of maybe two breaks they have all day. And honestly, when has this EVER worked?! It starts with a snicker, then somebody laughs, then a whole table is laughing, and the teachers are having to stop their own lunch to silence the kids that can't turn their giggle-box back upright. And have you seen the traffic lights they use for this crazy idea? How absurd is that?! Full-sized traffic lights, hung on the wall of the cafeteria. Green means it's okay to talk, yellow means you're gettin' a little too loud- calm down, and red means everybody has to shut up. It's ridiculous. If a teacher at my child's school ever called me and said that they made noise while the red light was on... I'm pretty sure I'd drop the phone laughing. Get a grip. We expect students to act appropriately and show respect to their teachers and administration and act like they have some sense. Maybe I'd ask if my child said something while the light was fully red, or if he was almost through with his conversation when the light was yellow and happened to change to red before he finished. Hahahaha.

Tue Jun 22, 2004 2:18 pm
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 3 posts ]