View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:47 pm

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
 Cutting Programs 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I am a Physical Education major. Often times our programs, along with music, art, and drama or vocational programs are often cut in the public schools. What are your views on this? Do you think it is important to focus just on the basics, or are these programs just as valuable to a child's education?

Sat Jun 19, 2004 6:24 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I think time should be devoted to all these aspects. There are some things you just can't get with out these programs. Art, PE, Music, Drama are all things that occupy our daily lives so they should be a part of the schools.

Mon Jun 21, 2004 6:07 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Where do I start?! Dusty, I know how you feel! I did a report on just Charlotte-Mecklenburg and what all THOSE geniuses have cut out of our education, and it's ridiculous. Then again, I wasn't there to vote for the people who made those decisions. Unfortunately, the people that know the negative effects of poor allocations and program-cutting are usually too busy to go fight for our own programs. First of all, VOTE. Secondly, become involved in your own school's decision making, and third, fight for what is important to you. I know just how important art, dance, P.E., music, etc., are to a student's education. Those on the board who think that education stops after the "Three R's" just don't seem to me like they are wired the right way! We complain in class about not having a break and not being able to focus. Arts education and the physical education classes are, even as they are called, educational, and offer the students a different route for assimilating what they're learning in other classes- assuming the other teachers are doing what they are supposed to do! Not to mention, it turns a boring day of reading and writing into something FUN.

Tue Jun 22, 2004 1:41 pm
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 3 posts ]