View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:57 am

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 
 Gotta learn the lingo 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

To the best of my knowledge, we haven't discussed this on the forum, and I think it's appropriate to at least bring it up. Yes, we've talked about issues that our students are dealing with, but do you really know your students? I've learned that you gotta know the lingo. You can relate to your students, understand what they're saying when they talk(!), head off plenty of confrontation between two students or a student and yourself, and be the teacher that the students show respect for, if you simply know what they're interested in. I'm glad we've talked about gender issues, homosexuality, religion, social class, race, etc. However, if you know what kind of music the students are listening to, the kinds of movies they're talking about, the cars they're driving (or building themselves), the magazines they're reading, what new shoes are gonna hit Foot Locker next Thursday at 9am, who hit for the cycle or who played a triple-double in a game, what the multi-colored bracelets mean!, what Eminem said or did on what awards show, what the new east coast/west coast rappers are shooting each other about now, and if you can "smell what the Rock is cooking"--- you are guaranteed to be ahead of the game when you're in front of your class. It's been my experience that students open their ears and their minds when someone who can, not only teach their subject, understand what the hot topics in a student's life are and be able to relate to them. Buy the magazines, see the movies, bite the bullet and listen to ALL kinds of music, watch MTV and BET, and see how much more your students put their trust in you.

Tue Jun 22, 2004 1:08 pm
All-star
All-star

Interesting post Jack! I too agree that you have to know what things are important to students to communicate with them effectively. I also think that this is vital to teaching so the student can respect and relate to the teacher better.

Tue Jun 22, 2004 2:19 pm
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 2 posts ]