View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:28 am

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 What is Freedom? 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

In class last Wednesday night, we discussed freedom to, freedom from and freedom for. We discussed that freedom from has to do with constraints and don't mess with me let me do what I want to do. Freedom to about the potential of national making choices from one thing to another weighing opportunties freedom to do what you can do. Freedom for having to do with positive, creation making something new, active process for adding to what you have and being creative.

What are some of your veiws from the discussions and how do you feel about freedom?

Susan Pope
:)

Sun Jul 11, 2004 8:52 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

To be honest I'm having real trouble differentiating between freedom to and freedom for. They both seem to me to be freedom of action. Freedom from would of course be freedom from the actions of others. The flip side of unbridled freedom for one or for some is the experience of unbridled tyranny by others. Should anyone be so free as to trample me?

Mon Jul 12, 2004 11:59 am
All-star
All-star

This has been one of my greatest fears in teaching. How to teach around the standards set today without being ridiculed or threatened. I want to be able to use what I think works if it works. If it does, then the liklihood of being able to do it my way will probably win out. But if a percentage of the students struggle that the local school system deems too large, I may have to either change my methods or change the school system that I teach. I think that every subject can be taught in many different ways and if it works (EOGs are good enough) then I think that administration should allow it. Not having teaching experience yet, I am too nervous about teaching for the first time with requirements that may decide whether I am able to keep my job or not.

Mon Jul 12, 2004 12:57 pm
Profile YIM
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Freedom is operating within certain boundaries of knowing what's right and what's wrong. Freedom gives us peace of mind. For instance, if we lived in a world, or on a planet, where we were "free" do whatever we wanted to do, there would be no internal peace because everyone would always be wondering if someone else's freedom would infringe upon the freedom of others.

My pastor preached on Freedom recently. He put it like this: "For the Christian, true freedom is peace. A believer who obeys the Word of God, His precepts, and His commands, is free from bondage, worry, fear, abuse, eternal death, and poverty."

Mon Jul 12, 2004 1:41 pm
All-star
All-star

To me freedom is the freedom to do what I want, as long as I do not infringe on anybody elses rights.

Mon Jul 12, 2004 11:12 pm
Profile YIM
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I don’t feel people really understand the term of freedom. We in America have the most freedom in the world but it is not complete freedom. When Gayle spoke with us about going to another country and being able to do whatever they wanted many turned it down. This is to show that people would rather live in controlling the world with law and order rather than be free to do at will. I have an overall feeling that involves Jeffersonism with basically says that most people are rational people but they have to be taught to be rational. This is why I would want to live on that world of complete freedom.

Thu Jul 29, 2004 3:02 pm
All-star
All-star

If you lived in a world with complete freedom and always got to do what you wanted to do, then you would never be challenged to do something that you did not want to do. You may never know your full potential.

Michelle Rogers

Fri Jul 30, 2004 3:57 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I see freedom as the choices we make with what we do in life. In some societies they follow what their family has done or have to stay in a certain class position. I have the freedom to live in North Carolina. I have had the freedom to live Ohio, New York, Kentucky, Tennessee and Michigan. The choices I made were all mine. We do have freedom of speech but I think it may have limits. In my high school if I present my personal beliefs the school administration would probably say something to me. In past jobs I have held the management outlined what topics were appropriate to discuss with clients. I was never encouraged to talk about polotics or religion with clients. Yes we have freedom, but we may also have limits.

Andy

Fri Aug 06, 2004 11:09 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]