View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:46 am

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Our teacher's really regarded in this way? 
All-star
All-star

When I read Gatto's article, I was quite disturbed by the way in which he describes teachers as patronized people. In my own personal experiences, as a whole, teachers are well-respected and love their line of work. I know there are exceptions to this, but I have been lucky enough to have never encountered it in my education or that of my daughter's. If I felt the way Gatto leads us to believe that many people do, I would not want to be a teacher at all.

Tue Jul 13, 2004 4:32 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I hope everyone doesn't look at teachers this way. However, I know that when I tell people that I am leaving my job as an accountant to be a teacher some of them look at me like I'm crazy. I think that is because I will be making less money, and all they hear teachers say is how bad the kids are. I also have a lot of people say they think it is great, and that they admire that I am going to be a teacher. Overall, I think people respect that teachers have a challenging job...they may think were crazy...but I think they do respect us as a whole. :)

Tue Jul 13, 2004 6:58 pm
Profile YIM
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

when I tell people that I'm getting my teaching certification, most peoples reply is how great and respectable that is. They also feel the need to say they couldn't do it, but that is why teachers so badly needed. I think most people do have a lot of respect for teachers.

Wed Jul 14, 2004 1:10 pm
All-star
All-star

Responses from people, when they ask me what I do for a living, have always been somewhat funny to me. When I worked at Western Carolina Center (a state run facility for adults with severe and profound mental retardation) they would say "that takes someone special." When they ask me what I am doing now the response I hear the most is "that's very honorable." I usually say "it could be but I think it just takes someone who cares about what they are doing." People who do not directly work with others in a "nurturing" job don't understand what it takes and they usually say the things that you all have heard. I think that most people say these things because they would rather leave this side of their persona at home and private. Who knows?!

Wed Jul 14, 2004 1:37 pm
Profile YIM
All-star
All-star

I have always felt that teaching is a respectable job. Even though Gatto challenges the teachers of today, I have great admiration for those teachers. That is why I am going into the profession in the first place.

Michelle Rogers

Wed Jul 14, 2004 2:29 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Teaching is a wonderful respected profession but one that I think is certainly uunderrated in many many circles. I originally began my undergraduate work toward obtaining a K-6 teacher certification. During the process I became aware of the political influences and the necessity of having the "right last name" in my small town to get into the school system. Ultimately I changed my major to Psychology and enjoyed it immensely, but now, 16 years later, I have found myself teaching self-contained special education in that same small town! Strange how we travel in circles. I have been able to realized that, while it is certainly isn't glamourous and it doesn't hold the presetige some other prefessions hold, it is where I am supposed to be. Fortunately, me school district has also broadened it's perspectives and I think it's a great fit for me now.
Being a school teacher in it's own right is a beautiful and rewarding thing-a nobel progdfession!

Thu Jul 15, 2004 9:18 am
All-star
All-star

Mostly what I get is: "why" - a very quizzical why (especially at my age)

Fri Jul 16, 2004 9:39 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I've respected the work of teachers. I have always known that I wanted to be a teacher. I think our reading gave us a negative outlook and it left a bad taste in our mouth. I just hope I can be the teacher to give many children a chance to know that they can make it through hard times, and set goals and achieve them. I had terrible teachers and great teachers in school, and I think we all have experienced both. From this we have learned to be the great teacher.
Wendy Smith

Wed Jul 28, 2004 3:26 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]