View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:26 am

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 vouchers 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

What effect would a widespread educational voucher system have on the nature of teaching? I have taught in both public and private schools. I believe that public schools suffer from a lack of community involvement and accountability. I know that most private schools just barely manage to scrape by on limited funds. Would both benefit by having the playing field leveled? How would putting the two types into direct competition change our vocation?

Mon Jul 19, 2004 6:06 am
All-star
All-star

To take a slightly indirect viewpoint/response: I believe that the whole system of school "vouchers" are, in essence - from the mindset of its most virulent advocates (the squeaky wheel, etc) - an attempt (perhaps in good faith, though most likely not) to undermine the public school system - to, in effect, privatize the school system

While there may be several good points underlying the reasonsing behind vouchers, all of these (the ones with merit) can be (and should be) addressed by the public school system

I fear, however, that the public school system (as a whole) will not come through on this - that schools will become privatized (step-by-step-by-step) until only those with the fewest resources (and the bleeding hearts) will be left in a plurality of public schools

Most people, sooner or later, will do what they perceive as best for their children - given the option and the opportunity

Thu Jul 22, 2004 6:13 pm
All-star
All-star

This may sound naive but I think that all schools working together and participating in the same programs would help everyone. I know in my county they do work together on a lot of issues. The school board provides services to both - even government support. It doesn't have to be one way or another. I don't think that competition is the best way to go.

Sat Jul 24, 2004 11:16 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Dan,
I don't see a majority of families resorting to private schools. It's too expensive. I once worked for a local private school that charged $4000 dollars per pupil. Our drawing cards were a relatively low tuition and what amounted to an open door policy. The school could not begin to pay the teachers a living wage. I laugh inside when I hear public school teachers complaining about pay.

Even $4000 dollars annually is more than many families can budget. I think a more realistic prediction is that the community as a whole will continue to pull away from schools. The average family will view schools and schooling as intrusive, compulsory, nuisances.

I see vouchers as a possibly positive alternative. Only tax money can make education affordable for most. Big business and high income groups should continue to bear the brunt because they can and because their interests are being represented. The downward spiral begun by ignorance will end in desperation and revolution. A revolution will see their backs hitting the wall first. By redistributing tax money as vouchers you give families buying power and the potential to take a stake in the shape of their children's formal education. I think it would work.

Mon Jul 26, 2004 1:35 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I think we need to focus on putting more money into the public schools, specifically the "poorer" schools, and help these schools get better.

Tue Jul 27, 2004 7:33 pm
Profile YIM
All-star
All-star

I agree with Kellie that we do need more money in the poor school districts. Equal funding should be across the board. If the local community wants to raise money to enhance the education of their children then that should be allowed also. Yes the wealthier districts would still be getting more money but at least they would all have the same chance from the start of the budget year.

Tue Jul 27, 2004 9:28 pm
Profile YIM
All-star
All-star

I have seen an increase in home schooling in Burke County. I know many families (professional fathers with stay at home moms) that have 5 or more children and they have decided to home school from K-8th grade. Having worked with many home schoolers here in Burke County, I see a dramatic difference in the social realm and education of these families. They are more worldly educated and their social structure is based among other home schoolers and their church. The parents say they homeschool because they believe their children are getting a better all around education. Even though they are somewhat behind in technological ways, I also believe that these children are better educated even though they are schooled differently. I would not be surprised at all in home schooling keeps increasing in population because of the teacher/student ratios in public schools and the problems that parents worry about today in public schools regarding social trends and ideas.

Tue Jul 27, 2004 9:38 pm
Profile YIM
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Chuck,
Im not particularly surprised at what you have observed from the homeschoolers in Burke County. Knowledge in a content area is important, but it pales in comparison to a genuine desire to teach and to learn. Who is better motivated to see that a child learns than a loving parent. Despite the crap we see on the TV sitcoms there are a lot of very nurturing families still out there. I have heard a lot of arrogant educators speak disparagingly about the ignorance of those who choose to homeschool. I've noticed that the same individuals have a very low opinion of many of their students as well. I can't see trusting Caleb (my son) to their care and frankly I don't plan to.

This aside, not all concerned parents have the resources to homeschool. Many, like most Americans, are in a great deal of debt. They need both incomes just to service that debt. In addition you have the single parents, many of whom also are genuinely concerned about their children. They need an option.

Vouchers would allow them to put pressure on the educational community. We need that pressure. Frankly, as an institution we are very full of ourselves and genuinely unresponsive to the community. We stand in loco parentis (in place of parent). To do that well we need the support of the parents that we represent.

Wed Jul 28, 2004 8:38 am
All-star
All-star

If enough money was put into the public schools - and if this money was directed "properly" - vouchers (except on religious grounds) would be (more-or-less) a mute point

Actually, the whole voucher movement is, more or less, driven by those with a (particual)religious (dare I say theocratic) agenda in education (which, to me, further translates into a class struggle directed by those in power to keep those out of power in conflict with each other (divide and conquer))

Dan

Sat Jul 31, 2004 6:36 pm
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]