View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:53 am

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
 We don't have the resources 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

When I hear someone say that we don't have the resources it really aggravates me. If I hear a teacher say that I feel they should start to look for a new job. This is an excuse for bad teachers and they have no place in the school system. It is time that teachers started taking action and quit relying on others to do their work.

Tue Jul 20, 2004 8:20 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Jesse, resources can come in the form of so many things. Last year, the teachers of North Carolina were told we would each get a $100 stipend to go toward school supplies. Most of us thought each of us would be receiving a check or at least the cash so we could go purchase things we really needed in our classroom: art supplies; technological supplies like floppy disks; trifolds for students who are less privileged; extra copier paper (because we are given a limit); and any other supplies that could be used in the classroom which are not covered under textbook funds or supply funds. Instead, most principals (we were told) allocated those funds somewhere else for their schools and the teachers, once again, had to spend his/her own hard-earned money to purchase things they needed for the students. I myself spend anywhere between $200 and $400 a year in order to get supplies for my classroom that I can't get from the school.

Not only that, I teach the Newspaper class and sponsor the school newspaper at my school. The textbook I have to use is ten years old! Can you imagine all of the changes in technology that have occurred within the last ten years that have affected the way in which the news is communicated around the world. The textbook I am forced to use does not even mention the Internet in it. The Internet alone has numerous outlets for News that my students, some of whom don't get a chance to read a newspaper until they come into my classroom, need to be aware of if they want a broad perspective of what it means to be Media Literate.

When you become a teacher, it may be different for you. Most teachers really make a leligimate gripe about needed more resources.

Wed Jul 21, 2004 3:38 pm
All-star
All-star

It seems to me that if there is not enough resources in the schools, it is due to mismanagement. As high as the taxes are and as many "Taj Mahal" schools as are being built, there should be plenty of resources.

And another thing, why isn't the NEA doing anything to help the teachers with their working conditions and pay. The only time I hear about them is when they are pushing a bond referendum or a special tax.

Thu Jul 22, 2004 9:10 am
Profile YIM
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I agree with Charlanda. It's not fair that she should use her "hard earned money" to purchase supplies for her students. But she does it in order enhance her students educations, and because she wants to be a good teacher not a mediocre teacher. Charlanda, your students are lucky to have a teacher that cares enough to supply them with their needed materials. And that is just pitiful that they are using the same books from 10 years ago. I bet the athletic department got new jersies and balls, and the gym floor probably got striped and polished just as it does every year! I also bet the ROTC got brand new shiny metals and fake guns. Better yet, at a local high school, the school bought 100 new palm pilots for the computer class teachers, which are still in the boxes (never opened) because the teachers don't know how to use them. Just imagine the new test books your students could have. If you did some research at your school, you'd pretty disappointed and shocked when you found out where the school dumps it's money!

Sat Jul 24, 2004 10:55 pm
All-star
All-star

I know that this year will be my first teaching, but I have a feeling that Charlanda is 100% correct on this one. I have already heard my co-workers complaining about much needed materials for the classroom. My county just built 4 new technology advanced middle schools a couple of years ago. Yes we needed more schools this I know. The sad thing is at my high school where I will be teaching, the building was built in 1954. This is the same year my mom was born! The school is too small and old. The teachers have to float classes because there aren't enough rooms for everyone. I just can't imagine what it will be like when it comes down to getting supplies for my students. I just hope I am as good a teacher as Charlanda and can find a way to get the supplies anyway.

Sat Jul 24, 2004 11:03 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I don't feel that teacher are asking anyone to do their job for them by saying that they don't have the resources, they may be asking for help. Because it really takes a lot of extar money to run an efficient classroom. That is why upper class school give a better education.

Sun Jul 25, 2004 3:12 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I agree with everything Charlanda had to say on this one. I know that teachers, as a group, do have a tendency to be labeled as complainers, but the majority of the complaints are valid. I find myself writing grants for the supplies, activities etc. I feel are needed in order to provide my students with a good school experience while they are in my classroom. As many of you have been told, I have been told that my district "doesn't have the resources". Grants writing is certainly not done by anyone else in administration for me, is certainly not not a quick process and it's definitely not easy. It is also not a part of my job description as per the school district. It's a part of what I think is necessary for a better school experience for my kids.
Charlanda, I, too, was promised $100 for replenishable supplies last year and administration found another "need" so we received nothing. What's more, I teach special education and upon my arrival last year I was horrified to find that my kids had no text books at all! 10-years old is terrible, but none was unacceptable. I raised a stink right off the bat and embarrassed a few people, but our department now has text books in Social Studies, Science, Math and English.
As a teacher, I do my work independently, proudly and effectively and perhaps, if Jesse gets into her own classroom, she'll see the harsh reality of what that means when it comes to resources.

Sun Jul 25, 2004 3:55 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I am from a family of teachers and I know what you are talking about when it comes to being restricted to what you can buy. My dad and brother are both PE teachers and in the past 30 years my dad can hardly recall a time when his department has been given money. When I was in high school, the only way our PE department made money was because of our PE teacher who ran the basketball concession stand with his own money. So to be given money must be nice because if you ever looked at the prices of PE equipment you would be thankful for a hundred dollars.

Wed Jul 28, 2004 1:35 pm
All-star
All-star

I find it very shocking that you had no textbooks at all for your special education students. Teachers seem to be dipping into their pockets more and more these days. I think it is horrible that the government is not giving more money for resources, or a least giving teachers a raise. I have tried to stock up on certain school supply items when they are on sale and I have a little extra money. I want to be able to help those students who cannot afford school supplies.

Michelle Rogers

Fri Jul 30, 2004 4:14 pm
All-star
All-star

If we have $200 billion for Iraq - the money for the rest must be out there, somewhere

Sat Jul 31, 2004 6:43 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I thought this was intersting! It seems that killing innoent people is more important than a childs education. Oh I forgot about the chemical threat Iraq is...lol! Im more of a chemical threat!

The War in Iraq Cost North Carolina

$3,005,803,499

Instead, we could have hired
additional public school teachers in North Carolina for one year.

Im having to borrow money just to pay for school and look what could have helped us all.
Instead, we could have provided
students four-year scholarships at public universities in North Carolina.

Mon Aug 02, 2004 3:54 pm
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]