View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:39 pm

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Are we still seeing the affects of slavery? 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I think that one of the reasons why African Americans' test scores are lower overall is because slavery put them at a disadvantage from the beginning. After the slaves were freed they were put into society without any education. They were just thrown out of their "cave" into the world to figure out what to do, then they were given an insufficient education until atleast the civil rights movement, and in many cases still are receiving such an education. It is important to give these kids even more attention to help them get ahead, in order to break the cycle.

Wed Jul 21, 2004 8:31 pm
Profile YIM
All-star
All-star

That is one of the major points that people who support affirmative action argue. They argue that minorities have never been given the same opportunites as whites. Although most white people seem to believe that minorites have had the same access to education, in reality this is a joke. As we saw in the video in class, even African Americans in the mid seventies received inadequate education.

Michelle Rogers

Wed Jul 21, 2004 9:55 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I think the list of "things to count on" that we read in class last night. Access to the culture of power is limited, to say the least, when you think in the terms of truly all students. It is laughable to think about the notion that there is a widespread idea that, for example, an African-American girl would have access to the same educational opportunities as a white boy in America. It just doens't happen. [/url]

Thu Jul 22, 2004 9:51 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

One argument versus affirmative action that does seem to carry some weight, even among minorities, is that it puts into doubt the qualifications of it's beneficiaries. During a class discussion on affirmative action, one of my students flatly stated that she was not willing to be anyone's "token." I feel led to say that the same young lady will probably attend college anyway, on her own merits, without affirmative action. When she succeeds, as she almost certainly will, I hope she is never burdened with the stereotype that she "needed a little help". She doesn't and she won't.

Thu Jul 22, 2004 1:49 pm
All-star
All-star

Your right Kellie. It is important that we give minorities the extra attention to catch up in some way with the majority. But it is also important (as we all were able to see in the video on Monday) that we also teach the majority the reasons why it is so important. Depriving a whole class or race of people is something that is learned and teaching the majority (white in our population) the importance of helping those that have been left behind is part of the process to a level playing field.

Tue Jul 27, 2004 1:51 pm
Profile YIM
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I too feel that we still see some affects from slavery but I don't think that we should pay any student more attaintion than others, just based on they race. I feel it is more important to pay equal amounts of time with those students who need it, no matter what their race.

Tue Jul 27, 2004 7:06 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I agree with you. After watching the video "A Class Divided" on Monday I realized the difference we can make as teachers to diminish racism. We have to realize that the government can make all the laws it wants to, but in order for the cycle of racism to break we must each do our part to make a difference.

Tue Jul 27, 2004 7:19 pm
Profile YIM
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I love the class divided activity. The children really got to expericence the acts of discrimination. I think if we educate our students this way, we will see less problems of racism in the future. Everyone should be treated exactly the same, and if we do this in the classroom maybe it will domino effect throughout the school, schools, children, and homes.
Wendy Smith

Wed Jul 28, 2004 2:59 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]