View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:41 pm

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 White Privlege 
All-star
All-star

Somehow, amist all the hyperbole and list recitation, the most important statement Ms McIntosh made (really, her central argument, although somewhat veiled in positioning) was glossed over:

"...as one who writes about having white privlege must ask, 'Having described it [not really], what will I do to lessen or end it?'"

Is the question, really, about ending white privlege or about working to assure everyone has the same privlege(s)?

The first implies a step down while the second carries (maybe?) a step up

Dan

Fri Jul 23, 2004 9:39 pm
All-star
All-star

I think the question is more about expanding white privilege to everyone. This is simply one more notion of equality. I know that I am considered one of those white privileged according to its guidelines, but it's funny before class Wednesday night I never even knew it.

Sat Jul 24, 2004 10:50 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Christy, I'm with you. Before this class I never thought I was privileged, but obviously I am. I don't think any of us want to give up our privileges, but we would like for everyone to have the same privileges that we share in.

Sat Jul 24, 2004 11:06 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

No one ever said to me that I was privileged, and I didn't know it either. I having been taking another class where we have been reasearching and discussing some of these same issues of privilege. I never realized I had it so easy. I guess I would know if I wasn't white. I have never really experienced prejudice or racism. I have felt a little out of place at times, but nothing of how I might feel if I was of a different culture. I realized that I want the students in my classroom to all feel the same: accepted, wanted, loved, and cared for no matter what they look like. Wendy Smith

Sun Jul 25, 2004 2:20 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I think that working toward the extension of white privilege should be the goal. I agree with Dan in the idea that the extension of white privilege, not the elimination of it, would be a definitive step up.

Sun Jul 25, 2004 2:35 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Does everyone feel like all whites receive these privilege, or is it just the whites with money. I personally feel like "white trash" or people stereotyped like that are very much looked down on.

Sun Jul 25, 2004 2:41 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I dont feel everyone recieves great benfits for being white. I know I have it good but that is why there is affirmative action and there are things being done to help minorities in America. I think the benefits go only as far as the amount of money you have.

Tue Aug 03, 2004 8:45 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I think it is important to extend white privilege to all races. However, I also think within the races some people are more privileged than others. Some of that does have to do with their social class. There are other elements...were you born with loving parents? Were you born with a disability? Were you born with parents who had a disability? The list goes on and on. I think we should all be grateful for what we do have because there are many people in the world who have it very rough.

Wed Aug 04, 2004 3:57 pm
Profile YIM
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

YOU KNOW I DIDN'T REALIZE THAT I WAS CONSIDERED PART OF BEING WHITE PRIVELEGED. IT IS SO SAD THAT PEOPLE ARE TREATED DIFFERENTLY BASED ON THEIR COLOR OR CULTURAL. WE AS TEACHERS NEED TO REMEMBER TO TREAT ALL OUR STUDENTS FAIRLY.

SUSAN POPE

Fri Aug 06, 2004 3:58 pm
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]