View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:45 am

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Teaching Native American Students 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I'm curious if anyone is Native American and/or if any of you are currently teaching Native American students. I struggeled through our readings on this topic because so much is not known to me - it hasn't been a part of my educational experience. It is sad.
I would love to go over Native American histiry and culture in my classroom, just looking for your input.

Sun Jul 25, 2004 3:28 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I'm sorry Denise, I really can't remember learning much about Native Americans from my schooling. The only things I can remember are the Trial of Tears, and the first Thanksgiving, just the basic things.

Sun Jul 25, 2004 4:44 pm
All-star
All-star

I am part Cherokee, as many from the mountains are. The Cherokee were one of the civilized tribes, they had a government and constitution similar to that of the U.S. before 1839. From a book I read, each village was autonomous , and each warrior could decide for himself if he would join war party's.

I now suspect that many of our mountain ways comes from the Cherokee. How we raise our "young'uns" to how we view government.

Probably the best source of information on Cherokee history is at the Cherokee Museum in Cherokee. In 1736 the Catawba and Cherokee fought a battle in an area just north of present day Lenoir. The battle was a draw and the two sides planted two poplar trees and tied them together. I understand that they still stand crossing each other. I tried to find them one time, but never saw them. Someone at the Caldwell Heritage Museum should be able to tell you where they are. Also the Caldwell Museum is one of the finest local museums I have been in.

Mon Jul 26, 2004 8:01 am
Profile YIM
All-star
All-star

See my suggestons for further reading post. The books I mentioned are really informative about the Native American Culture. I only learned about Thanksgiving, the Trail of Tears, and the Battle of Wounded Knee in high school before I read these books. Did you know that Mt. Rushmore was carved out of a sacred Native American mountain? I doubt you learned that in school.

Michelle Rogers

Tue Jul 27, 2004 8:13 pm
All-star
All-star

What I know of Native Americans has changed dramatically since leaving high school and going to college. Of course K-12 education did not talk much about what I know now except what has been discussed as learned already in this thread. I knew many Cherokee Indians from the age of 17 to about 25. I saw them as a proud nation that had given up to unemployment, sideshow ways of employment and total government funding. I now know that we (the ones who crossed the big pond) destroyed their nations and controlled and treated them like animals for many years and possibly longer than we did African Americans. The Native American nations have rebounded in some ways through gambling and other ways but they never gave up their heritage in keeping those in the tribe or of blood out of the perimeter of support. This is one thing that we need to learn from Native Americans. We need to stick together as a nation. Grow as is needed but never forget who we are and why we think believe who we are.

Tue Jul 27, 2004 9:51 pm
Profile YIM
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I think teaching gives us the advantage of pursuing such interests as Native Americans. I love the idea of learning more about other cultures and having to teach about other cultures will make me look at cultures from within and without of the culture. I am sure I will find some very interesting things about the cultures and some I may be surprised or not so surprised on how America has or hasn't treated people of other cultures. Wendy Smith

Wed Jul 28, 2004 1:57 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]