View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:59 am

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Discrimination: To be the seed 
All-star
All-star

:D If any of you get the chance to read Elizabeth Dodson Gray's "The Culture of Separated Desks,â€

Last edited by Chuck Rananto on Tue Jul 27, 2004 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Jul 25, 2004 9:05 pm
Profile YIM
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I completely agree with you Chuck. As techers the only thing we can do is to give our students the opportunity to see that we are not different becasue of our color and that we are all the same on the inside. Just like the plant it doesn't just appear over night it takes time to grow. So we can't expect people to change over night. We may not be as far along as we need to be but I feel like we are slowly but surely getting to where we should to be.

Tue Jul 27, 2004 7:35 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

That's a great analogy Chuck. Thanks for sharing it. I think I will read that book.

Eventually all analogies fall apart, but perhaps this one can be pushed a little further without breaking. The only difference between a weed and a crop is in the mind of the one who planted the garden. Many native plants which are commonly thought of as weeds have food and medicinal properties. Good example: queen annes lace which is definitely thought of as a weed by most is related to the carrot and has an edible root.

Thinking of ourselves as plants in a garden, how silly would it be for an onion to criticize a neighboring carrot. "Hey whats that carrot doing here?" "Who does she think she is?" "An onion?" Someone did plant the garden though. That bears thinking on. They planted many different types for many different purposes. Can each type find their purpose?

Wed Jul 28, 2004 9:46 am
All-star
All-star

Look in the text book for our class for that analogy. It's on the page that I mentioned.

Fri Jul 30, 2004 5:02 pm
Profile YIM
All-star
All-star

Yes I agree that we can never really walk a mile in another's shoes. We can not really change places with them and be them in order to understand what it is like to be them. However, the more we learn, the more we grow, and the better understanding we have of what it is like to be them. We can never fully understand another's life and situations, yet we can strive for that understanding and pass it on to our kids and our students.

Sat Jul 31, 2004 9:41 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Looking at the videos may not be the ideal way to understand discrimination but I think it would be one of the easiest. In the early 1980's I traveled to Japan for two weeks of training. At the time I was in the minority being American and not Asian in appeareance. I remember one young boy looking at me when I was in Fuji City, Japan. I assumed that this was the first time he had seen an American in person and not on TV. I realized that I was different in appearance but didn't feel inferior or slighted by and treatment I received. From my perspective you can experience discrimination by traveling to any number of foreign countries.

Fri Aug 06, 2004 8:47 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]