View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:55 am

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Race, Ethnicity and the Process of Socialization 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Robert Lake (Medicine Grizzlybear) makes a great point about education and learning when he wrote, "It takes time to adjust to a new cultural system and learn new things."

How well do you all think our American education system does in being patient in helping students who may not understand the dominant culture adapt and succeed in school?

Mon Jul 26, 2004 2:43 pm
All-star
All-star

I don't think the American education system tries hard enough. I helped tutor some Russian students in an elementary school in Asheville one year. They got some help with ESL teachers, but not enough. The ESL teachers helped them a couple times a week. Myself and some other volunteers helped on other days. One of the students did not pass his grade. I am not sure if it was because the teachers were not paitent enough or that they were not tutoring the student the best way. I felt so sorry for that student because he tried so hard.

Michelle Rogers

Mon Jul 26, 2004 3:28 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I feel that our educational system does a fairly good job helping students who don't speak the language. However I do think that our ESL students could use a few extra years of ESL classes. But again considering the number of ESL students, schools do the best they can.

Tue Jul 27, 2004 7:23 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I agree, I think the schools are doing the best they can with the amount of resource teachers that are available to the ESL students. Of course, it would be nice if there were more ESL teachers available, but the schools can only work with the what teachers they have.

Tue Jul 27, 2004 7:58 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]