View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:03 pm

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
 Institution of Education 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Anyone who has gone through Teacher Orientation or will go through it will hear the phrase "called to teach" on more than one occasion. I believe one reason I was called to teach was to help my son. I have been enlightened to understand some of his frustration in school because of the readings found in the textbook.

If anyone has not read the Martha R. Bireda article "The Mythical African American Male", please read it so you can get an understanding of happens many times to African American males; but I think many of her points apply to any male minority that has been "feared and 'profiled'" on American streets.

The only wish Bireda had been able to offer some suggestions to overcome these problems, but perhaps simply being aware of the stereotypes is one way to be more conscious of how to interact with diverse students across the board.

Mon Jul 26, 2004 9:52 pm
Site Admin

I'd add that one thing we as teachers can learn from the Bireda article is that when we allow ourselves to have these sorts of reactions to our young black male students, we are, in fact, racist. This is something most of the teachers I know would never want to be. I believe that who we are in the world comes greatly from what we do. If we are racist in our reactions, whether they are unconscious or conscious reactions, then we are racist in who we are. We as teachers have hard work to do to deny the internal racist in each of us.

Wed Jul 28, 2004 12:02 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]