View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:00 pm

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Faith has its place in every good education. 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Isn't a good education an exposure to and consideration of many different perspectives? Is it right for any viewpoint to be given short shrift simply because it is not mainstream or politically correct?

Yes. Students are easily influenced. Frankly, most adults are easily influenced. They only way to counter this is to teach them to carefully consider all options.

Even if you own strong views, as I do, you cannot simply teach a child those views, misrepresent others, then expect them to blindly follow. They will at first, but the instant they are exposed to opposition and learn that you have lied or omitted information, your case will be undermined and so will your influence.

You have to honestly present the opposing views then honestly give your reasons for disagreeing with them. Yes, you are taking a chance that students aren't going to agree. Its a risk that cannot be avoided. If you try by avoiding thorny issues then the only casualty of that battle will be your good influence.

Wed Jul 28, 2004 10:16 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I come from an ultra-conservative Southern Baptist background, and I, like most people, hold very strong beliefs. Throughout my life I have been stunned by the closed-mindedness of most people when it comes to religion and other cultures. If I can think outside of the limited box of ignorance and closed-mindedness that I grew up in, and can be interested in and accept and learn about a variety of things that are not in my immediate proximity, anyone can.
Our responsibility as teachers is to offer our students both sides of the plethora of knowledge that's available out there about a variety of viewpoints and topics. The kids have to, like we all did, decide what they embrace and find to be truth for them individually.

Wed Jul 28, 2004 11:53 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Jerry, for some reason people can't deal with Jesus Christ being talked about and expressed, but they will deal non-Christian things like music, dress, homosexuality, etc. I can't express my religious beliefs, but I have to hear about their beliefs and values. This tells you who is incontrol of this world. Wendy Smith

Wed Jul 28, 2004 1:52 pm
All-star
All-star

I know how you feel. Sometimes it is hard to address issues that go against your religious beliefs, but as teachers we are going to have to accept the fact that this is going to happen, and that we need to be opened minded.

Michelle Rogers

Wed Jul 28, 2004 3:09 pm
All-star
All-star

If you examine your question, you will have your answer.

Dan

And, as for clothes & music and for most of the rest: I do not get the point

As for homosexuality:
Doesn't all that get sorted out later?

Sat Jul 31, 2004 6:09 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Keeping our individual faith helps us focus on how we address difficult positions. We shouldn't lookig at changing all students positions but help them find the knowledge to answer their own questions.

Sun Aug 01, 2004 11:42 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]