View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:08 pm

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Concerned 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I have two nieces ages 13 and 16, they go to a Christian school. I feel that they are getting a great education in subjects like: math, english, spelling and penmanship, social studies and history, but not in science. The school dosen't have the money to build a lab or provide great science materials. My oldest niece is very interested in science and she wants to pursue a career in a science based field of study. She is taking chemistry this year, and I know that she will get the vocabulary of science, but not the hands on expericence that she will need when she enters college. Does public high schools have science labs that gives the students the hands on expericence that they need for college or is it vocabulary only?
Wendy Smith

Wed Jul 28, 2004 2:08 pm
All-star
All-star

In my high school we had some science equipment, but not enough. There were many times when a project had to consist of five group members, because there was not enough equipment to make the groups smaller. Usually someone in the group had to have the boring recording job, where you just sat there and recorded information. I remember completing several projects in the science lab, but we were always competing with other science teachers for the lab equipment. I do think that there should be more money given to public schools for science equipment. I think that private schools probably have the best science equipment available to students.

Michelle Rogers

Wed Jul 28, 2004 2:29 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

In my high school we would have two different labs a week and we had about 3 different science classrooms with plenty of equipment. In every lab we woud be looking at something different and several labs would take 2 to 3 days to perform. Im not huge into science but I found that I enjoyed it more when doing these labs.

Wed Jul 28, 2004 3:56 pm
All-star
All-star

Most high schools today do have labs with basic although old equipment. If I had a choice I would try to get my child in a newer high school with new and updated equipment since they cannot install old outdated equipment into a new facility. Chemicals have been a problem in today's high schools. Outdated chemical are prevalent in today's labs. Since teachers know that they will not get appropriate funding to furnish the chemistry labs with new chemicals, they are keeping the old chemicals and that is a problem when combining some of them together. Old chemicals may react or not react in the manner in which they are supposed to; leaving the lab an unpredictable place to be if the instructor does not realize what he/she is using or forgets. I haven't heard of any deaths but the learning experience can be altered.

Thu Jul 29, 2004 2:55 pm
Profile YIM
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Wendy,

If your nieces are considering attending college be sure they meet their high school-level science requirements before graduation day. Most colleges will not accept a student who has not met every science credit while in high school.

For instance, every public school student in North Carolina, except those in the occupational pathway, has to pass three credits of science from three of the several areas here: physical science, earth/environmental, biology, chemistry, physics or other advanced science. Occupational pathway students must pass life skills science I and II.

Be sure to check this out so your nieces will meet their college requirements on time.

My son attends a Christian school that has limited course offerings, but so far, they offer most of the core graduation requirements needed to be able to attend college.

Mon Aug 02, 2004 4:12 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I feel a lot of the importance of high school science is to interduce the sciecne vocabulary, but remember that in public schools students do start doing labs in middle school. So your nieces may be a little behind but most likely not by much.

Mon Aug 02, 2004 8:16 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I think at the local high school in our area offers more than just the vocabulary in chemistry. One of the teachers that teach chemistry does introduce more than just the vocabulary.

Susan Pope

Fri Aug 06, 2004 4:03 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

During teacher orientation last week for Lincoln County I overhead two new science teachers talking about how the schools didn't have the latest cutting edge equipment to teach the children with. I would hope that the students could get the basic understanding of science from the Chemistry or Physics class and then expand their knowledge at the college level. Several of the local Community Colleges anf Universities offer summer science and math programs for students.

Fri Aug 06, 2004 9:25 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]