View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:30 pm

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 Video useful for olders students 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

My experience is with younger students, but if I decided to use this with a group of sixth graders or older I was wondering how middle school students and high schools students would react if you did the "class divided" activity. How would you change your vocabulary, and would the older students really follow through with the activity?
Wendy Smith

Wed Jul 28, 2004 3:03 pm
All-star
All-star

I'm not sure but I would bet that the teacher's tone and use of words would fall somewhere in between what the third graders received and what the prison employees received. That's a great question but I hear it works with all age levels.

Thu Jul 29, 2004 2:00 pm
Profile YIM
All-star
All-star

If you were really serious about everything you said and fussed at the students when they challenged your authority, then I think you could pull this exercise off. Just sound like you know what you are talking about, and tell them that they don't. I would do this exercise very early in the year, when they don't know what your personality is typically like.

Michelle Rogers

Fri Jul 30, 2004 4:33 pm
All-star
All-star

I am not completely convinced that it would be a good idea to do this exercise in the classroom. Yes it worked well on the video, but even the teacher who did the exercise warned that not everyone was qualified to pull it off.

Sat Jul 31, 2004 9:44 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Wendy if you feel you could pull it off then it will be a great exercise. We as teachers know our ability and I know you would be fine to do it. I dont thik it would be a great idea to do it every year but maybe every other. This way the students cant expect it to happen or be prepared for it.

Tue Aug 03, 2004 8:50 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I think just showing the video to older kids would be helpful if a teacher didn't feel comfortable doing the actual activity. In high school I think it would be a challenge to do the activity simply because as a teacher you are not with the kids all day. I think it would depend on the group of kids too. If they are already a hostile this might not be the best idea. Still, I think showing the video would be great!

Wed Aug 04, 2004 3:51 pm
Profile YIM
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Wendy, I agree with Jesse.

You could do this activity well, but I'd plan the activity our very carefully.

I suggest renting the video (your school system may already have a copy on hand) and watch it numerous times, write out your lesson plan carefully and even write a type of script that you can recite to yourself methodically in order to be prepared for any off-hand remark from your students.

Also, depending on grade level, you may consider alerting parents to the activity with a letter home.

Fri Aug 06, 2004 8:58 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

When I first saw the heading I thought you were going to make a comment about senoir learners in our class needing additional input to gain insight into the problems in education. Will high school students be as receptive to change as an elementary school student? I think it would be helpful if someone was qualified to conduct the class. I see by high school that the students tend to socialize in groups and it appears to be by race. Teaching diversity to students shouldn't be a one time issue, we should continually teach diversity. Shouldn't we continually learn about black history and not for the month of February. Shouldn't we talk about Hispanic contributions other than May 5th?

Andy

Fri Aug 06, 2004 11:22 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I agree with most folks here in that it is a great exercise, but you would need to be consistant with you responses and your persona throughout the entire exercise. Andy I do think we need to celebrate and teach about African-American culture and of MKL at times other than the "designated" month. I think teachers need to individually assess which topics/issues they view as important and then to implement it in their classroom.

Sat Aug 07, 2004 7:18 am
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]