View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:34 am

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Gender and talent issue PE 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

In PE we do address this issue and it is a great way if maybe a classroom teacher runs an intramural program. On the first day of the unit we will have a skill test. The next day there are 4 captains chose by the teacher and they are generally the best and the ones who can be good leaders. They will be the coach for their team for the next 25 day unit. The captains then have a draft but the draft is done with just the led teacher. Once the teams are drafted, the teacher then switches the coaches around. That way no coach drafted their own team. This is to prevent teams from loading up on talent. They also have to draft boy-girl throughout the draft. This is an excellent way to encourage sportsmanship and equal gender on both teams.

Thu Jul 29, 2004 3:10 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I agree Jesse. We as teachers need to remind students that girls and boys can be leaders and be on teams with each other no matter what the project or activity.

Susan pope

Fri Aug 06, 2004 5:55 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I found that sports and team selection to be more important to the students at the elementary school level than middle or high school. From my opinion it was more important to have a winning team than a balanced team of boys and girls at the elementary school level. During one recess at a Hickory elementary school those students who were planning to play kickball spent over 5 minutes trying to decide on team selection. Team selection appeared to be based more on individual tallent than sex of the student.

Fri Aug 06, 2004 8:27 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I found that sports and team selection to be more important to the students at the elementary school level than middle or high school. From my opinion it was more important to have a winning team than a balanced team of boys and girls at the elementary school level. During one recess at a Hickory elementary school those students who were planning to play kickball spent over 5 minutes trying to decide on team selection. Team selection appeared to be based more on individual tallent than sex of the student.

Fri Aug 06, 2004 8:27 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I think team selection at the high school level is as important as in the elementary schools. Elementary students are simply less guarded than middle or high school kids. The need to win on PE teams is fierce no matter what grade you're in.

Sat Aug 07, 2004 7:26 am
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]