View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:57 pm

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 How do gender issues really effect our kids? 
All-star
All-star

My daughter is ten, and I asked her what she thought about gay and lesbian people. Her response was this: "Yuck! That is so nasty and wrong!" I asked her why she thought it was wrong and she said: "Because God says in the Bible that it is wrong. Those people can't get into heaven." I then asked her if she was the boss at her job, would she hire someone who was gay and she said: "I didn't think you could hire someone who was gay." I was very upset by some of her misconceptions during our discussion. Solution: better education about sexual identity and gender issues at home and in school. What do you guys think?

Sat Jul 31, 2004 9:36 am
All-star
All-star

This is a touchy subject, but students must be educated in their classrooms about homosexuality. Even if students are educated in their classrooms you are still competing with what their parents tell them. If your daughter thinks gay people are nasty, then I am sure many other students do. If you can help her see that homosexuals are not as bad as she thinks, then maybe she can change the way that other students view homosexuals. You can make a big difference, just by educating her alone. Good luck!

Michelle Rogers

Wed Aug 04, 2004 9:27 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I believe that being a gay person is wrong, but I wouldn't discriminate against them. People still cringe when they talk about sex. Parents need to talk about sex with their children and not try to avoid the subject. Even at a young age parents should teach about "good touch, bad touch." If parents still avoid the topic of sex you know they won't help educate their kids about homosexuals. I really don't feel that schools should teach about sex or homosexuality. What schools need to do is educate children on topics focused more on discrimination. That no one should be discriminated against, and that all people are equal. Wendy Smith

Thu Aug 05, 2004 7:51 pm
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]