View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:11 am

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
 Bringing the "just society" into the classroom 
All-star
All-star

"Our American values are not luxuries but necessities, not the salt in our bread, but the bread itself. Our common vision of a free and just society is our greatest source of cohesion at home and strength abroad, greater than the bounty of our material blessings."
-Jimmy Carter

What is a just socitey?... by nature can we nurture a just society?

Given personal, factional and political agendas, class warfare (yes, I do accept conflict theory as the most rational explanation for the current state of American society, but not in whole as no single phenomena serves to explain or can judge human history), and what-ever-else you wish to throw in: can we come up with a few simple demarcations of what is just and what is not? and, if so, how much is education? and how much (must be) schooling?

Sat Jul 31, 2004 6:59 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

From my personal experience I think education is what a student receives in class and schooling is what a student learns about life outside of class. Students learn about how to interact with others in society from parents and others. Some life lessons a student must learn outside of the classroom. I remember from the old black and white movies that they talked about being schooled by someone when they were beaten in a game of pool.

Fri Aug 06, 2004 10:12 pm
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]