View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:02 pm

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 How do we know we are "caring" about the right thi 
All-star
All-star

How do you define "caring" in the classroom?

Is "caring" that your students learn the tenets of the core curriculum to the state perscrbed standards somehow less important than "caring" that your students achieve some not-quite-defined (but I know-it-when-I-see-it) social goal or reach a particular level of cultural awareness and acceptance?

Just how much are the two (or more) mutually exclusive? Or are they?

Students (at least the vast, vast majority of students) are no longer exposed to Latin or Greek in K-12, many of the "classic" works of Western World literature have been surplanted by more popular, more current, more culturally sensitive works, the degree and level of instruction in the history of the "culture" of the Western World (the foundation of the American society, itself) has been diluted by the necessity of including a (nearer) equal time representation of Eastern and African history

Is what Johnny knows more or less important than how "sensitive" Johnny should be?

I haven't the slightest idea... do you?

Sat Jul 31, 2004 7:11 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Dan, "caring" in the classroom is defined to me this way: I care if the students learn to be successful the next year, if I am in a testing grade of course I care if they pass the EOG. I care if I teach many different ways so all students can understand and remember what is being taught. I personally care about the way the curriculum has went. Students aren't ready mentally for some of the things that the "pros" think they should know. According to medical research the brain isn't matured enough to comprehend some of what is expected to be taught. "Caring" in the classroom is also about the well being of the child. I care about how they feel at school, and I care about them as a person and student.
Wendy Smith

Thu Aug 05, 2004 8:22 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

A teacher has to make certain she/he cares that a student learns the core curriculum prescribed by the state. At the same time, the teacher should care about how successful a student feels and performs in and out of the classroom.

For instance, we all know students perform on different comprehension levels. A teacher should care if any of his/her students "fall behind"--sorry, couldn't get away from that term--and contrive a plan to help students catch up and perform successfully in the class.

But students also like to see the human side of teachers. To elaborate, the same year my son began kindergarten was the same year I began teaching. Even though he knew I was a teacher and still came home to him every night, he believed his own teacher was like a 'robot' and lived at the school. When students see teachers as 'real people' who actually care about their educational success, they begin to care.

As far as the types of subjects to focus on in order to develop a 'caring classroom', as long as a teacher is able to show how the subject matter relates to the student's life--the real importance of why this subject is studied in school--that teacher is caring. We should never teach something without showing how it can be applied to real life.

Fri Aug 06, 2004 9:38 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

As a teacher we have to care if our students are learning the core curriculum not only for our sake ( and state) but for their sake and knowing what should be learned in a paticular grade level.

We also need to make sure that we try to help that student be as successful as he/she can.

Susan Pope

Fri Aug 06, 2004 3:43 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]