View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:38 pm

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 The Truth about Helen Keller 
All-star
All-star

I never realized that Helen Keller was such a strong advocate for the poor. I was one of the students who learned that she was a courageous woman who beat the odds, by overcoming her physical handicaps. I hate that teachers fail to mention the truth about Helen Keller to their students. She was not only courageous, but a fighter and activist. I hope that as educators we inform students the truth about Helen Keller and other famous people. We need to give students a true education, one that goes beyond what the book says.

Michelle Rogers

Sun Aug 01, 2004 4:23 pm
All-star
All-star

I agree that we should go beyond the book when we teach. I too was pleasantly suprised to learn about Helen Keller and her advocacy for the poor. This makes her an even bigger hero in my book. This is something that everyone should know about her. She was truly amazing and a great role model to give to our students in the classroom.

Sun Aug 01, 2004 9:24 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I think including things outside the standard course of study is crucial in teaching. History is notorious for leaving certain things out and for elaborating on other things. Sometimes I think it's on purpose, other times I think it's just a human nature phenomenon. Helen Keller's life certainly warrants more attention than it typically receives. I guess we'll have to rise to the challenge!

Wed Aug 04, 2004 4:59 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I would teach her entire purpose of her life and how she was strong to continue fighting for rights even though she had disabilities. I think she felt strongly about activist issues because of her disabilities. She may have felt as they did except in a different aspect. Handicapped people has had to fight to be heard and respect as has different cultures, genders, and social classes. Wendy Smith

Thu Aug 05, 2004 8:02 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]