View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:36 am

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 prayer 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I really don't think prayer in school is appropiate and shouldn't be in school. I don't see nothing wrong with a sports team praying and I think it is important that people believe in something. I don't see why their shouldnt be a prayer at a football game out loud over the speakers.

Mon Aug 02, 2004 8:51 am
Site Admin

If I gave a Jewish prayer, would you be okay with that? Or maybe a Mormon prayer, or a Wiccan prayer. If I insisted on the prayer of my choice over the loudspeaker, whatever my choice might be, would you like it? If you wouldn't like it, what do you think would be a better substitute?

Mon Aug 02, 2004 1:20 pm
Profile WWW
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Jesse,

One thing school administrators allowed in lieu of prayer was a moment of silence so students/faculty who wanted to take that time to reflect, pray, etc. could do so without inflicting their own beliefs onto others. I'm sure your school had one. A moment of silence is not the same as school initiated prayer.

But you brought up some interesting things to think about, such as: you don't see anything wrong with praying with team members or prayer over the loud speaker during a publicized school-sporting event. These latter two situations are the very reason a moment of silence was created because it decreases the chances of it being construed as school-led organized prayer.

Mon Aug 02, 2004 3:20 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I don't think teachers should lead students in prayer because there are a ton of religions that are practiced in America. I think the moment of silence is the best choice. At the same time I don't think the students should be stopped from leading prayer if it is in a manner that does not disrupt class.

Mon Aug 02, 2004 3:33 pm
Profile YIM
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I understand what you are saying Gayle I wouldnt want that but now at the high school games whe they led in Prayer they usually don't refer to God. Its more of a, "will you Watch over us thing."

Mon Aug 02, 2004 3:45 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Jesse,
I don't think public schools should allow admin. or teachers to lead a prayer, but I do think a moment of silence is appropriate, and the students can pray to whoever they want to or not pray at all. The ones that don't pray should be respectful during this time. Wendy Smith

Thu Aug 05, 2004 7:56 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

What is so crazy is the fact that condoms can be handed out, but prayer was taken out of school. I think ever since prayer was taken out of schools, that discipline has gotten worse and many other things.

No one should be made to pray, but if a student wants to pray I think it is their right to be able too.

Susan Pope

Fri Aug 06, 2004 3:54 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

People at sporting events have a choice they can make if they wish to pray or not. In class during our last meeting we had food but I didn't hear anyone ask to bless the food. Prayer to me is a personal choice. Recently I have seen more request for prayers for our soldiers overseas and I haven't seen any complaints from people about asking for these prayers. I good anology may be the television with the great variety of programs. I prefer not to watch the Simpsons, because I feel it has no social value. I don't go out and complain that people watch the Simpson's, it could be they don't know any better.

Andy

Fri Aug 06, 2004 11:40 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Thank you for bringing this subject up, Jesse. I think a moment of silence is most appropriate in situations that are state funded or supported. Our nation is a wonderful representation of diversity and we can't value one person's beliefs over another's.

Sat Aug 07, 2004 7:11 am
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]