View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:25 pm

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 An Appreciation of Multicultural Issues in Education 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Prior to attending educational courses through ASU, I was never adequately taught multicultural issues that focused on race relations and how they relate to education. As a growing educator, I am somewhat ashamed of our past and current educational system because of its failure to develop and implement an appropriate and realistic multicultural studies program for the public school system.

Developing and implementing such a curriculum might combat and eliminate so much racial tension in the public school system, the U.S., and possibly, the world. It does begin with teachers who can present the accurate and appropriate information to students in an effort to broaden the minds of narrow-minded individuals still living 30 years or more in the past.

This is where the affirmative action comes in to play. There would not be a need to have affirmative action if administrative educators actually began focusing on developing a curriculum that would benefit each and every student in terms of socio-economics, "race", ethnicity, religion, culture...basic diversity. If all students were offered a more diverse, accurate view of education, then perhaps the dropout rate would decrease and more students would attend college and merely settle on a minimum-wage job.

Mon Aug 02, 2004 3:39 pm
All-star
All-star

I totally agree with you Charlanda, but what is the best way to fix this problem? I don't have much of a solution. So much damage is already done to students when they get to high school, so how can you fix that damage? I guess to teach multicultural studies from the beginning of a students educational career, and to continue to do this throughout school. Unfortunately if you started this next year, it would take several years before students could graduate and reap the benefits of this curriculum.

Michelle Rogers

Wed Aug 04, 2004 9:07 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I think the reason for racism is the lack of education about different cultures. If children were educated about the cultures as we have been since we have attended ASU there would be less violence and racism. I have changed my views about people since I have become more educated. Yes, it is true the educational system has failed at educating the students about the truth of different cultures, but all of us can start making a difference and hope that it will snowball and others will do the same. Wendy Smith

Thu Aug 05, 2004 8:07 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I think we should try to educate our students more about the different culturals and let them know ours is not the only one and we need to learn how other people live and learn.

Susan Pope

Fri Aug 06, 2004 4:05 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]