View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:25 pm

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 SATs 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Since SATs really don't test how well a student would do at most universities what should the schools look at to pass judgment, the students school merits alone? Would that really be fair?

Mon Aug 02, 2004 9:03 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I think they should look at all elements of the student. Grades, SAT Scores, Involvement in school, did the student work, etc. Many schools require essays from students, which gives them the opportunity to express more about themselves than scores from a test can tell. This could be helpful if a student can write well. It is a challenge for sure.

Wed Aug 04, 2004 4:06 pm
Profile YIM
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Kellie I agree with you. I think all aspects should be taken into consideration, not just test scores and GPA's.

Wed Aug 04, 2004 4:08 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Kellie I agree with you. I think all aspects should be taken into consideration, not just test scores and GPA's.

Wed Aug 04, 2004 4:09 pm
All-star
All-star

I agree with you both, all things should be taken into consideration. They should take into consideration the students who work and do not have the extra time to study. Also the students who may have started off with bad grades, but turned around and finished out with good grades. Their GPA may not be as high as other students, but the fact that they changed their outlook on school and worked hard means a lot. Perhaps an essay would help to prove that. I never felt like the SAT was a great measure of a student's potential anyway.

Michelle Rogers

Wed Aug 04, 2004 8:43 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Colleges should accept students on all the things you said, Kellie. I say this because I am a terrible test taker. I can know and comprehend the material, but regurgitating the info is really hard for me. I have learned a few tricks to test taking now, but I still don't do as well as if I could just show teachers some other way that I know what I am being tested on.
Wendy Smith

Thu Aug 05, 2004 8:11 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]