View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:08 pm

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 Home School versus Public School 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I was listening to the radio today, and people were calling in about the best educational experience. One woman called in and said she was a public school teacher now, but she home schooled her children from school age until upper middle school, then they went to public school. She went on to say that when they were home schooled that her children were generous, trusting, and caring, but all that changed once they went to public school and they haven't ever changed. My thought was that maybe her children were all those things around her during those home school days, but not when they were around her. I also thought that if she instilled in them the qualities they she liked for them to have, they must not have been very strong for her children to change so quickly. Wendy Smith

Thu Aug 05, 2004 8:32 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I heard some of this discussion on the radio, too. I agree with you! I have a niece and a nephew that are home schooled, and my niece absolutely hates it. She misses being at school with friends. I am sure there are exceptions, but overall I think public school is better than home schooling. Kids need to develop their social skills.

Fri Aug 06, 2004 7:48 am
Profile YIM
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Both my sister and sister-in-law home school their children. There are pros and cons to home schooling and public schooling; it all depends on how involved parents are in both situations.

My sister home-schools my six-year-old niece, who currently performs on a third-grade level. While Maia gets a well-rounded education that includes basic curriculum, music (she plays piano by ear and with music), P.E. (gymnastics and ballet), and field trips, she does miss out on being around other children her age. The pros: she's accelerated in education, gets to spend more time with both parents, and probably gets more educational opportunities than most children her age. Her father is in the military and my sister recently gave birth to their second child. My sister devotes most of her time to making certain her daughter is well educated.

Additionally, my sister-in-law home schools two elementary-aged sons, and one preschool-aged son. She also has a year-old daughter. All of her sons perform at grade-level, which that's what the state requires. She has well-developed core-curriculum lesson plans and does many creative projects with the boys; but I don't know if her efforts will be as productive as all of the children grow older. Four different curriculums for four different children equals four class periods in a regular public school setting. I myself only have three classes per day, thank goodness!!!!

Personally, I'd probably only want to home-school one child up until they get old enough to go to the fourth grade. Beyond that, I feel they miss out interpersonally.

Fri Aug 06, 2004 8:47 am
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]