View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:37 pm

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
 GOING TO JAIL 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

When we read the article that Dr. ML King wrote we never discussed if we as individuals would be willing to be arrested for our beliefs. When I was in the military they were having antiwar protest in Kentucky Our base commander made an announcement that if we were spotted at one of the protest that we would be charged under military law. At the time I thought one of the ideals that I was fighting for was freedom of assembly. In my case I decided that it wasn't worth the potential conflict to display my personal freedom. Today my job as a teacher depends on me not being arrested and having my name in the paper for a contraversial issue, which would not be considered criminal (robbery, murder, etc). If I decided to lead a march down one of the major highways in Hickory to protest the high cost of gasoline and was arrested,my school system could end my contract by saying my conduct was unbecoming of a teacher. As teacher do we have a principle so strong that we would be willing to go to jail?

Sat Aug 07, 2004 12:09 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I think the topic at hand would have to be a little stronger than the price of gasoline for me to be arrested in protest of that one. Now, if I were paying $5 per gallon and men were only paying $1.79 a gallon, then I'd probably be right there on the road protesting.

Sat Aug 07, 2004 11:22 am
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]