View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:52 pm

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 
 Homeschooling 
All-star
All-star

Hi guys (and girls)!
I was just wondering if anyone knew the qualifications for being a "homeschool" teacher. I ask because a lady I know is homeschooling her two youngest and frankly, I don't think she should be allowed to homeschool them any longer. However, I know very little about homeschool rules and would like to learn a bit more before speaking with her.
Thanks,

Tue Aug 31, 2004 7:21 am
All-star
All-star

i dont know alot about home school but two of my close friends from home were home school but they did theirs through a program over the computer. Their parents didnt half to teach them. But i also have some other friends who are home taught and thier parents dont have a degree in education but they ve been to college and they are the ones who teach them. So i dont think that you half to have a degree in education or any formal training. Hope this helps :)

Tue Aug 31, 2004 3:09 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Hi,

I was homeschooled in the state of Virginia. The reason I mention the state is becuase it is different everywhere you go. Each state has the authority to make their requirements for homeschooling. I read another reply that mentioned some kids homeschooling over the computer. Even that vary's wherever you go. Some states require a parent with a degree, and some states require two parents, each with a degree, and still yet some states do not even require any degrees or a tutor. In Virginia, they put tough guidlines out about the on-line homeschooling programs. There were many programs I researched and liked, but Virginia would not recognize them. Another thing to watch out for is whether or not the program is awarding a GED or a real diploma.
Cheers,
Nina Pinto

Thu Sep 02, 2004 12:01 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I worked for two years with a guy who was 19 years old and had not yet completed his courses (homeschool) to get a certificate. Let me get to the point, I new his parents and neither of them were educated beyond high school, yet were "teaching" matt and his younger brother at home. He would bring some of the workbooks that he must complete to work and I would sit down in the breakroom and help him with the math and LA the best that I could. I never really got a grasp of the evaluation process, he tried to explain something about taking a test and sending it in...

cs60119@appstate.edu

Fri Sep 03, 2004 9:44 am
All-star
All-star

Homeschooling is more about choice than about education in many states including North Carolina. Parents can choose to homeschool under the states guidelines. Parents, however, do not have to be certified or pass a competency test. Some argue that several homeschool students win awards, score high on standardized test like SAT but the same is true of students who go through the established methods of elementary, middle, and high schools. Socialization is one of the issues many have with homeschooling but in many counties there is a growing number of homeschool organizations that have regularly planned activities for homeschool students to socialize. Many homeschooling parents in the state prefer to have a mix of homeschool activities and traditional learning settings activities. Last year, the spelling bee winner for the Charlotte-Mech. and surrounding counties was a homeschooler.
Homeschoolers and homeschool teachers are as varied as students and traditional teachers.

Fri Sep 03, 2004 3:06 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I remember a few years ago when the University had homeschooled students come in a few mornings a week and have PE classes on campus. I'm not sure what programs were involved in it and if it's still around but I thought it was a neat way for homeschoolers to socialize and get PE in with different children. I also had a question about homeschooling. How do the teachers get resources and get involved with the programs that sponser testing and giving of degrees?

Mon Sep 06, 2004 12:17 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Hey

One of my really good friends was homeschooled and now attends Appalachian. We have talked a lot about homeschooling and what all is involved. There are no requirements to teach homeschooling, all you have to do is send in paperwork to the state saying that you are going to homeschool your child(ren). The state of North Carolina's homeschooling according to her is not very maintained. She went to the state office to help organize it and she said there is paperwork from 3 years back. There is only like 5 staff member that man the whole operation. So requirments such as sending in that you are homeschooling your children is not very organized or maintained properly.

Thu Sep 09, 2004 4:51 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I think that parents should definately be able to homeschool thier children because they feel that the values and morals taught in public schools are inconsistent with their own, however it is very important for them to understand that what their child may gain from a more family oriented educational regiem, they may loose in peer social interaction. After all one of the best lessons learned in school is how to interact socialy with your peers.

Mon Sep 13, 2004 9:33 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I agree with Mark, parents should have the right to homeschool their children if they wish, but I do think that they should have to pass some type of competency test. Teachers have to go to school for four years, the least they could do is take a test. I think if parents do wish to home school, that they should make a special effort to arrange social interaction time with their peers. I think the situation totally depends on the parents. I know kids who have come into high school after being home schooled and were way above their grade level, and then I have also known the kids that came in and had to go back several grades to catch up. I definitely think the state should be a little more strict about the guidelines for home schooling, because I think each child should have an opportunity to get the best education possible.

Wed Oct 06, 2004 11:21 am
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 9 posts ]