View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:42 pm

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
 Schooling is a Business 
All-star
All-star

In the textbook, Shapiro explains that schooling is being treated as a business. Teachers must produce "a product," or results, meaning that students must make prescribed levels of achievement.

What do you think about this idea - is it a good or bad way to run a school and why?

Sat Sep 11, 2004 5:03 pm
All-star
All-star

I think that it is a bad way to run a school because children are not objects and they shouldn't be considered as objects. Children are not products to be produced, bought, or sold, they are human beings. Children can and do achieve high levels of achievements, but that doesn't mean that they are products of soceity because they learn what they want to learn and not everything they learn is considered part of the mainstream of society.

Sun Sep 12, 2004 3:12 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

In CI 2800 we read a book (I cant remember the name) that compared high stakes evaluation to pizza making. The point was that A CHILD IS NOT A PIZZA. A pizza made in a factory is good if it has the correct ammounts of some ingredients, but a child cannot be evaluated in such a simple manner. Just because a kid can pass placement test to see if the have the correct "ingredients" ie math, english, and science does not ensure in any way that this child will be successfull. Just as the child that fails is found to lack these ingredients will not nessicarily be a failure. Bascially there are way more ingredients that determine who a person is than there standardized tests to evaluate them. Observation and interaction are the only way to find out what a kid needs, and more importantly what they are interested in.

Mon Sep 13, 2004 9:54 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I think the biggest fault in the 'product' mentality is that if a school actually operates with the intent of producing countless identical products, they may actually succeed. Although Hirsch may disagree with me, I think that our education systen would be doing a grave disservice to our society if every student ended up being the same, with the exact same knowledge base, and the exact same ideas. I think that that would be one of the biggest dissapointments education could present.

Mon Oct 04, 2004 11:41 am
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 4 posts ]