View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:05 am

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
 Teaching Homosexuality...this is a hot topic! 
All-star
All-star

In my children's literature class last year, we reviewed some articles about a new wave in children's literature: writing books about homosexuality. Some books were playful and fictitious, like "King and King", while others were serious and carried solemn messages.

Do you think that libraries should carry these books, allowing every child to read them? Do you think that schools should include basic understanding of homosexuality in their curriculum? Do you think that teachers should be allowed, or encouraged, to discuss homosexuality with their students? Will it abolish hurtful stereotypes, or will it anger parents and embarrass students?

I have pretty strong views about this topic, but I've tried to remain impartial because I want to hear what you think first. Let me know how you feel, because this topic is incredibly important to me!

Mon Sep 27, 2004 9:24 am
All-star
All-star

I'll give my opinion on this touchy topic....
Question 1) yes, i think libraries should be allowed to carry any kind of book. If a child has a curiosity about a subject they can go get a book. If they want to know about it and thier library doesnt have a book, they can find the information elsewhere. So why not provide them with it to begin with, and hope they will continue to use the school library... It is there to be used, right?
Question 2) This is a bit more tricky, but yes, i think a basic understanding is acceptable. In science, children learn about hetero and homo, so they know what the prefixes mean, and when applied to a suffix "sexual" make obvious definitions. Why bother trying to hide it?
Question 3and4) I think that a discussion of this topic in a classroom will always be controversial. Some parents will be upset, some children will be offended, or embarrassed, but other will want to talk about it. I think that if children talk about it, they may understand it better, and not fear it as much. Fear of a thing, or jealousy of a thing usually encourages spiteful behavior towads that thing. I think a big part of deciding whether or not to discuss this topic has to do with the class itself. Get to know the students, decide if they are mature enough to handle a discussion about anything related to sex, and if they are mature enough to handle a discussion that could turn religious, and mature enough to understand that a discussion is merely a verbal exchange of opinions. If these three qualifications are met, then sure... discuss away!
hope my opinons didnt offend anyone.

Sat Oct 02, 2004 8:46 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I agree with Amy, I think that libraries should carry books about homosexuality. I think the best reason for this is simply to help out children that live in homosexual homes. I think it is important, however, that these books approach this subject quite carefully. We talked briefly about this subject in another class and someone had brought in a book about a child with two mothers. The biggest problem that I saw with this particular book was that both of the mothers had short hair and wore cut-off plaid shirts. I think that this kind if imagery in the hands of a child that does not know better will only perpetuate current stereotypes.

Mon Oct 04, 2004 11:08 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I agree with Justin and Amy about having to be careful and know your class when talking about homosexuality. I think the age that you teach will also effect how indepth you can talk about this touchy topic. Not only age, but the location where you teach will effect your ability to openly discuss homosexuality. I don't think that we as teachers should bring up the topic in early elementary because sex of any kind would seem overwhelming to most students, and this would also cause problems with the parents of the young students. But, on the other hand, if a child asks about something I think they're ready to talk and hear about it...but this may come at an older age. Also, if you are teaching in a small, religious county you will have to watch out because administration, parents, and the community will be down your throat; larger cities and counties seem to be more understanding and open-minded to discussion of such a controversial issue. --good discussion topic morgan!--

Tue Oct 05, 2004 7:14 pm
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 4 posts ]